Old 01-02-19, 05:57 PM   #4
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10
Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskar123 View Post
You may not be invested yourself but I'd be curious to know: what stops us from simply copying models from SH3/4 (other than the low poly count)? Format issues? It seems to me that the TWoS mod adds a few new ships to the game, so it's clearly been done before.
I will try to answer your question with another question, but first let me start with a preamble.

There is a forum thread which contains most of the information needed for making a basic but acceptably good ship conversion from SHIV (and SHIII) to SH5.
It is neither a comprensive tutorial, nor a ste-by-step guide; one needs to read the whole thread to get a wider picture, and even so, the picture that you will get will be far from complete, but at least that would be a starter. I think I moved some of my first modding steps in the Silent Hunter world from that thread: before reading it, and before trying to put that information in practice (with tens of mistakes done and twice as much lessons learned) I basically knew nothing about dat format, SH controllers, etc. I owe the little I know today to my curiosity which induced me to ask questions, and to the patience of other forum members and modding veterans, who kindly answered my questions. They have all my gratitude, but without my questions they probably wouldn't have been in the position to help me.

Now my question for you is: after the first wave of enthusiasm that followed the posting of the aforementioned thread by TDW, when many valiant (and now mostly retired) modders imported several new units in the game, how many new modders do you think tested themselves with ship/aircraft conversions?
Unfortunately I can't remember anyone but Vecko, the author of TWoS.
Why is that? Maybe that thread should have been stickied, maybe someone should have written a comprensive ship buiding/importing tutorial. Maybe we, as a modding community, could have made a better work in helping new members to move their first steps as potential modders, but how many people actually asked for this kind of help, and how many simply asked to see new ships and playable subs imported in game by someone else?

I'll leave you to answer that one

Last edited by gap; 01-02-19 at 06:35 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote