View Single Post
Old 04-29-21, 02:22 PM   #1
malayawolf
Nub

Downloads: 20
Uploads: 0
wolf_howl15 What kind of value do Silent Hunter 4 brings you?

This one took me personally as a Malaysian. Coinciding with the attack on Pearl Harbor, in the early morning of December 8, 1941, the Japanese army landed at the beach in Kota Baharu, Malaya. Despite the heavy resistance from British defending forces, the Japanese managed to take control of the Malacca Strait and local resources such as rubber and tin. A few event that caught my interest during this time:
(i) Operation Gustavus.
Basil Goodfellow, who was the OM second-in-command in Singapore, together with Richard Broome, John Davis, and Lim Bo Seng launched Operation Gustavus on 23 May 1943. This was a series of small-team insertions into Malaya by submarine and amphibious aircraft. It took two weeks after sailing from Colombo, Ceylon for John Davis and five others to land at Tanjung Hantu, Perak, between Penang Island and Kuala Lumpur. Force 136 (malaya Special Ops) infiltrated a few other teams utilizing this method. The security and safety of all men and submarines in this operation were vulnerable to discovery by Japanese patrols, which presented the possibility of capture

(ii) Operation Jaywick a.k.a Rimau
with Captain Lyon Ivon leading this daring seaborne raid in the Malayan campaign. He recruited and trained specially selected volunteers at the “Z” experimental station outside Cairns, Australia. After nine months of training, the Jaywick party sailed from Exmouth Gulf, Western Australia, on 2 September 1943. Two weeks later, they reached the Riau Archipelago and moved close to St. Johns Island (Southern Islands, Singapore) on three two-man kayaks called ‘folboats,’ jam-packed with explosives, limpet mines, supplies for two weeks, and personal weapons. They sunk approximately 50,000 tons of enemy shipping using limpet mines. The Japanese responded sharply, and interrogated and tortured to death many Malays suspected of involvement with the sea raiders.

So, with SH4, i could live that era all over again. Even though maybe not as precise and not as the Malaya parties. And thanks to mods, i get to have the historically correct gameplay.

My father himself was an operator back in the day. Not for the Force 136, but for another kind of Malaya Emergency era (communist attack led by Chin Peng). And my father introduced this game to me at an early age (thanks dad). However, i could not understand a single thing from SH4 lol. Despite being a teacher now, i have come to play SH4 again, trying to understand the mechanics especially the manual targetting (feel free to give out hints). Back in the old days, I would watch my dad play SH4 at the midnight, sank tones of ships, and sometimes let me man the subs until i got rammed by IJN hahaha good time dad (wish I could have that moment just one more time).

And, i LOVE SUBMARINES and the idea of “wolf” as symbolic to the subs. It suit my ancestors lifestyle very well too. They were silent, a predator, get to track things or people in the forest easily or in short a tracker (just like the character in the movie Predator, i forgot which series but has Arnold in it), a true viking of the eastern seas, a warrior. So, with SH4, i get to have that feeling as well (except im having duds torpedoes and they dont ahahah).

So, what kind of value do Silent Hunter 4 brings you?

(Sorry for any grammatical or languages error, im not a native speaker)
(Subsim is a great community and im thankful for that. I really think that there is next to none of people in Malaysia that would play SH as much as i am, or am i?)
malayawolf is offline   Reply With Quote