View Single Post
Old 07-31-17, 08:43 PM   #2
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Jack Harkness View Post
It's now a commonly known bug that enemies can hear torpedoes being activated, even in their baffles, and I may have found an explanation.

Looking in weapons.txt I found that the Mk 16 emits 140 dB at all times, makes sense. The Mk 37 starts at 120 dB, also makes sense, but then jumps to a whopping 230 dB as soon as it's enabled! No wonder anyone anywhere can hear it activate. The Mk 48 similarly starts at 160 dB and jumps to 230 dB when enabled.

So I decided to look at some values that make more sense for the 37, then move to the 48. With the Mk 37 we have a 17 kt run speed and 26 kt enable speed, that's roughly a 50% increase in speed so about a 100% increase in motor power, right? So that means the sound energy from the motor doubles plus the difference in flow noise. Since sound energy increases by a factor of 2 for every 3 dB it looks like the Mk 37 enable noise should only be 123 dB. And if we use the sonar self noise factor of 1 dB loss for every knot of speed to roughly anticipate flow noise that gives us 9 dB, or 132 dB total.

Does any of that math make sense to you guys or have I been doing this all wrong?
This is really interesting, but I think some tests will have to be done here. The Mk 37 was noted to be a fairly quiet torpedo and it seems that the Mk 48 was at least quiet, or not notably louder (most likely thanks to the pump-jet) according to what I've read.

I think taking some steps to "correct" its self-noise at full speed may gain a bit more flexibility for the Mk 37, but I can't help but wonder, if the level is lowered so that they can no longer hear it in the baffles, what is that going to do to the non-baffle detection range. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that some care has to be taken not to make the torpedoes TOO stealthy.