View Single Post
Old 12-01-21, 10:47 AM   #33
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

The graphics vs. content conundrum is probably unsolvable so we can set it aside. As is realism since the delivery of data in AOD is not at all what one would see on a U-Boat in the Atlantic but the situations presented to the Player are much more historically and technically reasonable than those in even modded SH3/4. In effect AOD presents realistic situations in a gamy, 1990's fashion, when the mouse was an innovation and most gamers relied on the keyboard.

So graphics and realism are entirely subjective red herrings and since developers steadfastly refuse to provide a simulation with both, enjoy your sound and light spectacular; imagery over substantive tactical problem solving.

The immersion myth is another red herring as I have found myself more immersed in AOD situations than has ever happened in the SH franchise. I get my immersion from my imagination and have no expectation that it will be provided by the developers via visual cues.
Quote:
extremely bad looking ships through periscope is a total game killer for me
No surprize here but AOD is very deep (pun intended) and there is a lot going on under the hood that is lost if you write it off for its clunky graphics and (mostly) crappy sound.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote