Old 05-31-22, 04:08 AM   #4677
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
Excellent answers.
Being somebody who does more playing than modding what exactly is a source code and why can't it be seen?
Are there files that are downloaded with the game that we actually can't see?
Think "SH4.EXE". It was created by UBI programmers, compiled and then linked (more or less - the process is dependent on the programming language used to write the code) with all the elements that go into the game that we run. Neither the source (original) code nor the executable code generated from the source code is publicly available. What is available to modders are the peripheral-type files that determine how the written code within SH4.exe will execute based on the parameters defined in those files.

Because I am an old Assembler and COBOL programmer my vision of how the SH4 programs are put into executable form is likely not accurate, but the process is essentially the same no matter the language, unless someone is writing and modifying machine language (not likely these days). I don't intend to get into a technical argument over the nits of what really has to happen. Just trying to paint the picture of what it is that we cannot have!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote