View Single Post
Old 02-09-21, 01:11 PM   #277
NiceSub
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
The hydrophones were a very unreliable tool, an aid at best. That’s why the doctrine was to stay surfaced to search for contacts and only submerge and listen if compelled to do so. This doctrine is reflected in the commander’s handbook. I would recommend reading the book “Secret Diaries of a U-boat” by Hirschfeld, he was a radio man and that book lays bare the real shortcomings of hydrophones. They were dependent on the salinity of the water in sea areas, the plankton content, many factors affected their usability. His skipper, the ace Bleichrodt, had very little use for them as is evident in the book (apart from using them to evade, and even then he doesn’t trust it - his words: “what’d I tell you Hirschfeld, the tech is ****”)

No game gets hydrophones right. They are highly overpowered in every sim I’ve ever seen.
So what kind of search pattern on the surface we should set up to find targets? How should I sail it? Also SH5 has that thing where if you are using TC the game will stutter for a second when its loading target in your area. For me that is a sign to dive and listen on hydrophone, in 99% cases I will hear something.
NiceSub is offline   Reply With Quote