View Single Post
Old 06-22-20, 09:15 PM   #1379
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havan_IronOak View Post
My boat is a Gar class out of Pearl. But the save was just Northwest of Linguyan(sp?) Gulf.

I wouldn't be surprised about the confusion on the taking damage bit, except that I specifically checked that after the battle and before I did the save.

Went to my boat management damage page and nothing was damaged. Personnel page - No one was wounded and hull damage was at 00.

I was a LONG way out when I tried to use the down camera key. Probably 30 seconds of Shift up-arrow.

Of the two issues, the "not showing damage that I actually took" is the more troubling but no one died and everything is fixable.

Actually, after posting my last entry here, I started SH4 again and chose an even earlier save. I've since played through that day with no issue (except that the tanker never materialized. But since my now functioning SJ Radar picked up a convoy of four merchants steaming right toward me, I'm willing to let the tanker slide.

I'm sorry if I'm being somewhat dense on the SJ radar. I set it to medium range and made sure it was weeping and that's why I spotted the convoy I'm guessing.

But two other questions have occurred...

1) What use is the 4000 rad setting on the SJ radar?
Unless weather conditions are appalling, I'm gonna visually spot anything that close, no?

2) Is there a secret to getting the Focus Mode to work?
After I found my targets using the sweep mode, I tried to use focused mode, hoping it would perform like telling my sound man to continually report on the nearest contact. Instead, I stopped getting any radar contact reports at all. I went back to sweep mode. And he started reporting again.
I do not see anything wrong with the cameras for the boat, or the overall, comparing it to previous versions. We do not have a report of a boat taking damage upon a re-load, but we'll add yours to the list. Between the two, there was something that "tweaked" the data...

As for the 4000 yards (rad??) setting, it is perfect for radar depth attacks at night. Much more accurate. Try it sometime. The "Focus" does work, and can be used with the A-Scope to find bearing, and to get more accurate bearings with the PPI screen. You can also click on the screen with your mouse, and get a quick sweep in the direction from the needle to the mouse click. Do it again on the other side of the needle, and back it goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
I was just sunk in a balao in July 43 at 548 ft deep in the East China Sea, silent running was active but completely ineffective, same goes for that thermal layer bollocks as well. What I did notice though was this unerring ability to locate the sub by this destroyer, it seemed to have this super sensitive hydrophone and sonar that could pick up a dolphin breaking wind at 500ft.

Destroyer in question had a number 20 on the bow of the ship and some kind of Japanese markings in the middle, "it+jT" is what that looked like.

Now to my next observation, the balao submarine has the torpedo settings set to contact instead of influence, I know it can be changed inside the game but I would like to know which file controls that so I can change it outside of the game.
That particular Fubuki (as DanielCoffey has properly identified) skin ends its date of use December of 1942, under the assumption that all of the Japanese Fubuki would have been back in by then, and re-fitted. However, the active layers at that time run from September of 1942 to August of 1943, so depending upon the group and spawn, it could well still be "active", but it does sound suspicious. However, the Fubuki are top-line DD, with the Kagero and a few others higher-rated than them, but the Fubuki are excellent ships, armed to the teeth, bristling with the latest sensors, and are a reliable platform. That would be strike one. Then, you went quite a bit deeper than the thermal layer. It usually is a relatively thin layer of markedly colder water. However, SH4 does not have the bathythermograph of SH1, where you could watch the gauge, and know how big and how pronounced of a layer you might have. SH4 just has the "passing thermal layer" voice, and that's it. The "layer" only works a little, and at that, only directly below it. So I will stop by 50 foot below the announcement, so that my shears are just under it. I do not remember the "randomness" of the layer in the game. However, no matter how strong the layer, you are not invisible to the enemy. They can still hear you, but might not be able to "place" where you are accurately. Silent Running is the same thing, of course. Your prop is still making noise, and your motors are still making noise. I don't know if you use the rpm gauge on the boat at the helm station in the Control Room, but set your speed by that, to be no higher than 50 rpm. That should get you below 1 knot, or close to it. Potential strike two... Then, you are deep. An explosion at 300 that would not damage your boat, becomes fatal at 548 feet. Anything close can kill. I have not looked at the depth charges lately, and they might be too strong down deep, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Here the details:

Start of new career with Narwhal Class sub at Freemantle, SJ+SD radar, MK14 torpedos, departed at 11.06.1942;
Mission 1: Commando troops insertion Borneo; completed.
Mission 2a: Proceed directly to area G6 and standby for new orders; completed.
Mission 2b: Engage enemy shipping; completed
Mission 3: Patrol area G1 withing the designated area in the Celebes sea for 5 days; incomplete
Detected task force; report sent; order to cause serious damage to the task force; incomplete; attack failed. Moved to operation area G1. saved game, all ok at reload.
07.07.1942: patrolling G1, saved game, needles stucked. if I load previous saves the needles are ok, reloading last save or subsequent saves: needles stucked.
09.07.1942; last save; needles stucked.

Sub state: Hull=000, damages=none.

14 different saves with different names from port start to 09.07.1942.
I save games in this format: Mike_09_07_1942 or Mike_PATROL_G1_06_07_1942 or Mike_PORT_FREEMANTLE_11_06_1942. Abbreviating caps if limit reached.

Modlist:
Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Games\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.1_EN
Gramophone_DraftCharts_for_FOTRSU (replaced dds file with draft chart)
Navigation Training with all Submarines (transfered Q-school misison to single mission)
Torpedo Training with all Submarines (transfered Q-school misison to single mission)
FOTRSU_Traffic_and_Contact_Reports_like_Stock_Game (campaign file changes in Data\Campaigns\Campaign)

Is there a workaround for it by deleting some file in the SH4 savegame folder? like the *.tmp files?

I hope this helps you,
XS
I do not know of a way to correct the gauges in the Save folder. I am wondering how you were given a mission based upon a Contact Report when you still had an outstanding Primary or Secondary mission. The internal logic in the Contact Report should not have allowed that. I'll have to download your Traffic and Contact Reports Like Stock and eyeball that. Double-check on your end also, and make certain that you have that set-up correctly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
C:\Ubisoft\yourinstall\Data\Library\torpedoes_US.s im

take a look at \data\submarine\balao.sim using Skwas' Silent 3ditor. browse to electric propulsion. try lowering your RPM. this adjustment will not affect anything other than the noise your propeller makes.

Next release will have some settings similar to that for the Balao. We want to eventually bring ETR3(SS)'s Balao into the game, but there is quite a bit of conversion to do so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
The first SJ-1 issue was the patrol before the ST became available; the second SJ-1 issue was after the rollback of the ST upgrade.

However, according to my notes, the first issue occurred not on the last Balao-class patrol, as I would have sworn, but on the first Tench, a new construction upgrade. The ST issue and second SJ-1 failure occurred on different versions of the second Tench patrol.
Neither the Tench nor the ST (nor Improved SD) should be available prior to January 1, 1945, and the Tench is not on the CareerStart until after January 10, just so we are certain of a proper start with that boat... Early assignments of these boats and equipment are a "killer" of the game. One thing being off has the potential to crash the game, or at the least, trash the Save data. Another thing to remember about the ST is that its range is much shorter than the Improved SJ, which it would seem to me that the game should keep the SD, and the SJ when you get the ST, but maybe it is NOT retaining them... maybe it ~can't~ retain them... We'll do some more digging from that angle...

In the meantime, I remind everybody that CapnScurvy wrote a pdf for FotRSU back in 2017 for the radar and sonar use. Refer to your Support folder, and find "Using radar_Sonar.pdf" in there. The US equipment begins on Page 7. He does not get into the details so much on the Sonar, but does on the radar.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote