View Single Post
Old 06-26-09, 05:10 AM   #27
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

I really can't see that Fog thing happening this century. The computing power required for it is astronomical. Don't be fooled by the techological advance of the last 20 years. We're still using transistors and we've hit the end of the line. My current PC is 500 times faster than the one I had 10 years ago. But in 10 years, i'll be glad to have a pc 5 times faster. And there are many medical implications. What happens if you breathe in the fog?

The motion tracking system is nice buuuut:
1: how would we play Silent Hunter without a mouse?! we already have voice commands but how do you plot on tha map?
2: why flap my arms in the air like an idiot instead of using my current Steering Wheel in driving sims?
3: Try lifting your arms as if you're using a flight yoke and keep them up for say 4 hours....
4: let's say i'm playing a boxing game. I hit my opponent's guard and the 3d model stops there. But my real arm moves onward and a desync occures.
5: with no depth perception there is no way you can hit a virtual tenis ball, you can see that in Sony's demo. The Wii went as far as one can achieve.

Even Enterprise's holodeck is silly. What if I want to throw myself from a cliff and pop a parachute? The only way I see virtual reality happening is with a head device that acts directly on your brain and makes you hallucinate. The bonus on that is that you'd move by imagining that you move. And it has already been discovered that "mental" exercising actually fools the body so well that you can gain muscle mass by imagining that you lift weights. But again... not in this century.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote