View Single Post
Old 09-08-22, 04:32 AM   #70
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOCUS
Energy economists like Claudia Kemfert from the DIW do not accept the argument that green energy cannot be stored.

Sinn: We will not succeed in storing the necessary seasonal weather compensation in the foreseeable future. The existing pumped-storage plants are a drop in the bucket, and they cannot be increased sufficiently. Batteries as seasonal storage systems are still tens of orders of magnitude away from the economic viability threshold. Hydrogen is the only option. However, the loop from electricity to hydrogen back to electricity wastes three quarters of the energy generated, the plants are extremely expensive, and hydrogen embrittles all materials that could be used for pipelines.

So the pipelines have to be replaced every few years.
The hydrogen route and derived e-fuels are technically possible, but only at horrendous cost, robbing us of our prosperity.
Also, as I posted a week ago already after the Canada meeting, the energy-per volume unit ratio for hydrogen does not compaare to that of LNG gas. If you store H2 or transport it in tanks (tankers), you need 3 times as big volume capacities to reach the same energy

content of LNG in a given amount.

I was a fan of H2 for long time, but did not know these two details. Since then I have become sceptical. Replacing pipes for H2 every couple of years? Thats like the railway replacing its complete track grid every couple of years. Madness. Absolutely ruinous.

Quoted Kemfert - how much i dispise this so-called "expert" - claimed we have already very huge eneryg storage capacities. She was wrong, as I pointe dout alredy when I quoted that first. These reserve facilties would keep Germany runnign for 40-50 minutes only. A time period of so sun and wind however could last for a week and long, in winter, and that that happens every winter, repeatedly. You would need 200-250 times more power storage capacity than there is to get over one such dark and windstill week in winter!

Thats the kind of realism our experts and government are basing on. With so much concentrated incompetence, one's hair can only stand on end in fear.

I expect official inflation rate sin Germany exceeding 12% over the cours eof this winter, and absolutely possible and likely to climb higher next year. I also expect that the delayed wave of Corona bancrupts and now energy- and inflation-related insolvencies will dramatically, drastically wash across Germany in the coming months.