Thread: 2023 BOSS Noms
View Single Post
Old 05-23-23, 09:14 AM   #3
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Thread of the Year
Nomination basis: Great start to an interesting thread.
Forum: Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific

Nominated Member: Kpt. Weyprecht
Nominated Post: In a pigboat again! Training a periscope eye
Quote:
I'm back roaming the Pacific! My old saved games are gone with a previous install and I had to fire up Windows again but there I am taking command of an S-boat.

I was planning on a fully realistic campaign with no map updates and maybe even restricting myself to 0-gyro angle shots to emulate the lack of a TDC...

My resolve didn't survive the first encounter with a task force off Lingayen Gulf. I can't manage to build a decent amount of situational awareness. I can be reasonably accurate with with my periscope ranges on a lone target from a fairly close distance but I'm not good enough to set up a good attack on a zigzagging taskforce.
I wonder if I could have more success in a u-boat. Still, any tactical tips on gathering information from afar, when ranging is really inaccurate? I feel I should switch to drawing on paper ang doing things really slowly but with the trips from homeport to patrol area I ended up smashing the TC button again.

By the way -- at first I lanuched a Brisbane campaign, but I somehow missed all the action around Guadalcanal and spoent 3 patrols in empty seas, only getting some ships off Rabaul.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote