Thread: 2023 BOSS Noms
View Single Post
Old 04-13-23, 06:49 AM   #6
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Onkel Neal has made a Best of SUBSIM nomination.
Nomination Category:
Quote:
Post of the Year
Nomination basis: Wow, nice reply with the information he has determined, great post!
Forum: Wolfpack

Nominated Member: Alvarez
Nominated Post: Link
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidd View Post
I thought AoB was always a matter of judgement and observation, rather than someone that you could measure or calculate?
I am quite inquisitive, and it turned out that the calculation is possible.
In other words, we need to convert radians to degrees.
The periscope uses a scale in degrees with divisions of 1 degree horizontally and 1/16 degrees vertically. From here you can deduce a little mathematics.
Without going into details, I found and checked the information that the range is calculated according to the formula "Apparent height / height in the risks of 1/16 degrees * 0.9168". For a periscope with an x6 approximation, you need to multiply the result by 4.

But the range can not be considered, since the current version of the game has tables that are completely sufficient for a successful determination.

AoB can really be measured by eye, which after some experience is really not that difficult, and if you have a lot of time, then there is no problem in this. In addition, there are historical reference books with examples of ships from different angles, which actually led me to very accurate results.

However, I am the kind of person who wants accuracy, because with the help of RAOBF we could get it earlier. Now this is impossible, or due to a number of mathematical operations it is completely irrelevant - it can be calculated faster on a calculator, since we do not move from one device to another)
So - the AoB formula in the new realities looks like this: arcsin(apparent length / (apparent height/16) * actual height / actual length)
The arcsine is easily calculated using a calculator or tables if we want more historicity. The actual height and length of the target is taken from the directory and is calculated once. the height that can be raised is the only difficulty - since the number of units of measurement must be divided by 16, since the vertical scale is 1/16 of a degree.

In the end, you can make a form in excel, if the goal is to quickly calculate. But it seems to me, I am almost sure of this, that the difficulty of such a calculation in my head was even made on purpose in order to keep the navigator, engine engineer, acoustics, etc. busy with work. For this can be calculated on the map, bearing the ship at regular intervals, and then, having learned its real course, find the necessary AoB on the attack disk. Yes, this is only for team play, but it seems to me that it will work, and there will be less calculations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutted View Post
Hello, I'm the creator of the solution solver program. I've not played Wolf Pack in ages, but i can help answer any questions about the program itself.

Only thing i can think of is to make sure make sure you have the correct zoom level selected at the top of the tool. It's been 4 years since i launched the game, i don't know whats changed about it, so the tool may no longer be useful if they've mucked with the in-game periscope zoom levels.
Hi and thanks for answering! The tool is really very cool, but it would be even more cool if the calculations were converted to degrees. If the source files of the program remain, I think it will not be difficult to transfer just one tool to a slightly different mode...

as an excel solution for AoB, I can give a formula that exactly works. =DEG(ASIN(apparent length / (apparent height / 16) * actual height / actual length))
As I wrote earlier, we are forced to divide the value of the apparent height by 16, since the vertical scale is expressed in 1/16 degrees, and each division of this scale is 10. In other words, 3 divisions is 30, and to solve the apparent height, you need 30 / 16

Well, as for the range, I already answered above - the dependence of radians (as before) and degrees is linear, so the fix would not take much time and I would be very happy if a new version of Solution Solver was released, as it is very convenient!
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote