Old 03-10-23, 08:49 PM   #3
Mon Homme
Seaman

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Cool

...but there is a "but" concerning the notion of range, well more than one actually.

For a start, the SH5 world is based on an equi-rectangular map projection. That implies that any in-game distance is greater than its real-world equivalent. To make it worse, map distortions apply in an inconsistent manner: they are greater near the poles and along parallels than they are close to the equator and along meridians.

Secondly the range figure commonly available for most aircraft is the maximal total range, i.e. the maximum distance an aircraft can fly between takeoff and landing, whereas the MaxRadius setting in SH aircraft cfg files is more closely related to the combat radius, i.e. the maximum distance a warplane can travel from its base of operations, accomplish some objective, and return to its original airfield with minimal reserves. There is no fixed rule for converting from one to the other, though we can safely assume that combat radius is lesser than half the maximum range. The point is: how much lesser?

Third and most important, in SH5 there is no way to assign specific tasks to airbase-spawned aircraft. Let's do an example: if an airbase has Catalinas within its airgroups, and an enemy port is within their radius, they will attack that port on a regular basis, no matter how unrealistic it is. The only way to prevent things like that from happening is placing airbases wisely and setting the max radius of their aircraft according to the kind of missions they are expected to accomplish rather than on real specs. Luckily we can create proxy clones on any aircraft, each clone with its own radius, without need to duplicate its model and binary files.

I hope I made myself clear
What you said - I know. I just entered real combat radii and aircraft speed. In my game, this has not yet created problems, but I have seen transport planes and bombers flying about their business at sea. It was interesting. From now on, I will leave such modifications for personal use only. Thank you for the conversation. You are a great person!
Mon Homme is offline   Reply With Quote