View Single Post
Old 01-31-23, 03:49 PM   #1
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3
Default Volunteers needed, to test experimental AI tweaks

Hi guys! In short, I'm looking for volunteer(s) who are currently playing SH5 campaign (with or without TWoS, the only thing required would be that you have JGSME mod manager set up), who would be willing to test changes I've made to TDW's version of Airplane.aix script in order to make planes in game more dangerous.

If you're interested, here's a little more detailed explanation:

Plane AI in SH5 is governed by Airplane.aix file located in data/Scripts/AI folder. Vanilla version was (like most of the game) very buggy and modders have been trying to improve it, most notably TheDarkWraith in his IRAI mod (this is the version used by TWoS megamod among others). Unfortunately TDW never finished working on it, and plane AI still has many problems leading to aircraft not attacking a U-Boat when they should or crashing into ocean. This was discussed at length and tested in a thread I've started some time ago, and based on findings from this thread I did some changes to TDW's version of Airplane.aix aiming to make planes more of a threat to the player.

Unfortunately, my free time is very limited these days and I cannot do any sort of extensive testing, especially testing in campaign (all my own tests were done in specially prepared single missions to have a controlled environment where I can make various script changes and compare results. Campaign doen't work that way - planes fly in various groups, weather conditions, approach from different directions, plus there are various tactics emploed by player to evade the attack - all this has an impact on how well AI will work). This is why I'm looking for someone who is currently playing a campaign to test changes and provide feedback.

How would this work? Here, you'll find a mod that replaces Airplane.aix with new script:

https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=6291

Copy it to your mods folder (or TWOS_Parts folder if you use TWoS). It can be enabled or disabled through JGSME at any time during your campaign, even mid-patrol, and will work both for vanilla game and for TWoS. After enabling it, when you are attacked by an aircraft, please post here the results:

- What type of plane (if you had time to check or use external cam)
- How did you respond to the attack (dive, fight it with AA, etc)
- What was the result (did the plane drop any bombs? Did it crash into ocean or did it do some other weird maneuver?)

I hope to pinpoint planes and situation that lead to least satisfying results, and use this to improve their behaviour by further tweaking either the script or plane parameters.

Final note on credits: as noted above, I was working on version of the script created by TheDarkWraith and included in TWoS megamod, so most of the script is TDW's work, I just changed parts that led to buggy behaviour (specific info on changes made is in comments within script file).
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote