View Single Post
Old 01-01-23, 01:34 PM   #7
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
Can the skull flag be customized? What is its significance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Not in game perhaps but you can always edit the texture. As for significance, it's weird - I tried to Google it but besides U-189 which used pirate flag as their conning tower emblem they don't seem to have been used by U-boats? They were a common symbol for Royal Navy submarines (mocking derogatory comments by senior naval officers towards first submarines as being ungentelmanly weapon whose crews should be hanged as pirates).
The Jolly Roger featured in U-boat Flags and in TWoS is a pure work of fantasy. As far as I can tell, no pirate flag was ever flown aboard any U-boat. There is more: the flag pole on the rear of the conning tower, similar to the stern flagstaff of bigger vessels (in the Kriegsmarine and in other navies) was reserved for the naval ensign. Hoisting any unofficial flag in that position would have been considered highly disrespectful and probably would have considered a case for court martial. For other types of flags that could be flown on U-boats, their significance and their hoisting points, I recommend the following reading:

https://www.gc-scalemodels.ca/U190/f...pack_compr.pdf

Off topic: happy new year everyone
gap is offline   Reply With Quote