View Single Post
Old 03-15-21, 06:31 AM   #26
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
I know, sorry for being unclear: this remark about simulating shallow settings was about shipborne DCs at beginning of the war (I remember players complaining in the past that in 1939 British destroyers can sink their boat even at 150-200m, despite in real life British having at this point no idea German boats can dive that deep).
No matter how many complain about that, all the SH shipborne DCs since at least SHIII don't get their maximum detonation depth parameter applied; they behave as if they were proximity fuzed, and without access to the game code there is little we can do about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
But again, thinking about this: simulating enemy lack of knowledge while player does have hindsight is not entirely fair
Well, in the case of air DC's I don't think this initial lack of knowledge by the British can be exploited by the player. Unless you cheat with the external camera, when you see an aircraft on the horizon you never know its armament. It might carry depth charges, regular bombs, torpedoes, guns, cannons and rockets in various combinations so, no matter how wrong were initial British calculations on depth bombs' most effective detonation depth, if you don't want to risk a too erly patrol end or, even worse, an abrupt campaign end, your best strategy won't change: dive as fast as you can!
gap is offline   Reply With Quote