View Single Post
Old 03-15-21, 05:42 AM   #25
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
I am afraid it was the other way around. Remember that most of the times an U-boat was intercepted by an enemy aircraft, she was sailing on the surface. Due to aircraft's speed, the submarine had a short time for submerging and avoiding the attack, so reaching max diving depth was out of question. Actually, one of the problem of early air depth charges is that their pistol was set too deep; they exploded too far below U-boat's keels and little damage was done. Experience and more accurate calculations led the British to reduce this depth setting. Let me find the source(s) that I took this information from and I will post the link here.
I know, sorry for being unclear: this remark about simulating shallow settings was about shipborne DCs at beginning of the war (I remember players complaining in the past that in 1939 British destroyers can sink their boat even at 150-200m, despite in real life British having at this point no idea German boats can dive that deep). But again, thinking about this: simulating enemy lack of knowledge while player does have hindsight is not entirely fair
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote