View Single Post
Old 03-14-21, 12:07 PM   #5
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Setting dive bombers as level bombers will lead to unrealistic attack tactics.
That's true, on the other hand "strafe & perform acrobatic stunts" is not a tactic I've heard of as well

Besides, looking at this movie for example:

is for planes like Liberator (maybe Catalina as well) attack profile used looks more like fast, low level horizontal approach (of course, these might be just shots staged for propaganda purposes and actual approach might have been more vertical).

Quote:
What if we fit them with some fast-aiming but short-ranged dummy gun, whose muzzle flash effect will spawn a bomb?
I thought of this and it could be a viable solution (was experimenting with creating a retro-rocket launcher for MAD armed planes, and sure enough you can set a "gun" like this).

2. MAD ideas

Quote:
Have you checked that visual sensor's detection angle does not prevent if from "seeing" directly below the plane?
Yes. But I have another suspect as to why it didn't work:

Quote:
Have you tried testing with Swordfish planes (and, indeed, with IRAI installed, no other mod overwriting its files)?
Speaking of IRAI files - in Airplane.aix, there's this fragment:

strategy PlaneNavigate(Plane)
{
precond
{
(Plane:HasTorpedoes() or Plane:HasBombs() or Plane:HasCannons()) and Ship:GetContactDepth() > -8.5
}
strategies
{
BombCourse,
TorpedoCourse,
CannonCourse,
AirToAirCombat
}
}

If I understand correctly, it sets conditions for a plane that must be met in order for it to navigate (fly towards?) detected target:

a) plane must have means to attack (bombs, torpedoes, guns)
b) contact must be at no more than 8.5 meters depth

I wonder what would happen if we set this to 20.0 for example... but to test this, I would have to know how to make edits to .aix file affect the game (just changing it doesn't seem to do anything - maybe it is overwritten by something or requires rerunning file patcher to work?)
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote