View Single Post
Old 06-14-22, 03:04 PM   #4746
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 441
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berneri View Post
It appears that the NSS_.*.cfg files are all set up at a max depth of 1000 metres, as shown here:

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=18.3;meters
SnorkelDepth=15;meters
CrashDepth=40;meters
MaxDepth=80;meters
SurfaceDepth=6;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=40;meters
StormConditions=9,0.1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=18.3;meters
SnorkelDepth=15;meters
CrashDepth=40;meters
MaxDepth=1000;meters
SurfaceDepth=6;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=40;meters
StormConditions=9,0.1;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]

Or the porpoise:

[Properties]
PeriscopeDepth=17.0;meters
SnorkelDepth=11.5;meters
CrashDepth=48.8;meters
MaxDepth=1000;meters
SurfaceDepth=6.4;meters
TorpLaunchMaxDepth=33.52;meters
StormConditions=11,0.2;max wind speed [m/s], max rain intensity [0,1]
I don't have a clue what you are quoting for the first two examples there. 80 meters equals roughly 250 feet. The submarine crushes at that MaxDepth. An 80 setting would be appropriate for an S-Boat, but the V-Boats had test depths of 350 feet, and were known to have gone much deeper. You don't want your submarine crushing before an acceptable depth. Most of the FotRSU sub settings are rather generous to the player. FotRSU is not for the die-hard "realist" sub simmer, especially since SH4 is rather short on being capable of doing that anyway. If the player drives their boat like they were intended, you don't have to worry about sudden death from crossing that "magic" line. You will encounter breaking glass and other damage well in advance of that 1000 meters, which is when the game ends. Notice also that the "test depth" lines on the depth gauges were removed. The fuel usage is very economical (I wish my Buick got such good gas mileage), the boats ride real smooth on the sea, and a hundred-plus other little thingies in the mod and game that are not "realistic", including the rivet count on the after deck of the Salmon / Sargo... if that's what you're pointing out.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote