View Single Post
Old 04-28-09, 03:50 PM   #8
rubberboot
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

WOW!
You weren't kidding. I had know idea about that forum when I posted. After reading it though, I noticed that nobody really answered the 'root' question. He was asking about the odd accuracy that was displayed. As I observed, there wasen't a 'ladder' system with regards to shell splashes. It was random. The other Forum broke down the armour penetration, bad shells etc., and yelled at each other. I can accept that ships, 18000yrds away sailing almost parallel to each other as well as moving at 21 knots, it would be difficult to place a salvo where the ship is going to be in approximately 25-30 seconds from now. This is why the Dreyer table, Z 31 EU/SV-Anzeiger, and Sperry fire control systems (British/German/American, ref. Guns at Sea Peter Padfield) were created. These systems were used and corrected with visual corrections provided by spotters. Unfortunately, in the game, the British spotters are drunk, and the Germans have had a couple of shots. As observed, both fleets sailing parallel courses at 14 knots, the fall of shot is all over the place. It should be closer. I am ok with hits, armour penetration, armour protection, etc. I just think the fire control needs work.

For example,
1st salvo over, and deflection fwd (as seen by spotter)
2nd salvo under, deflection braketed
3rd salvo under (but closer), def bracketed
4th salvo straddle, no hits
5th salvo straddle, 2 hits (shell grouping adjusted)
6th salvo under - enemy adjusted course
repeat corrections.

This is all I'm suggesting, it is not this way in the game.

Regards,
Glenn
rubberboot is offline   Reply With Quote