View Single Post
Old 01-18-22, 01:36 PM   #87
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
Couldn't be the problem coming from the fact that sub-objects (composing the final exported "diffuse object") are combined in a different order than in the "AO object" ?
Possible, but that's not the main suspect in my list of possible culprits.

What for sure can mess up the order of sub-objects (and faces) is material assignation. The main model and the AO model should have materials with similar naming (Wings3D sorts them in alphabetical order) assigned to corresponding faces. If, for example, a group of faces in the main model is given a material whose name is let's say 'wood', the equivalent faces in the AO/UV2 object should be given a material named 'wood_AO', 'wood_2', or something similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
If your excel sheet can solve the problem, let's try it. Just explain to me how this works.
Yes, it can. As I said, by using the output of my spreadsheet we can create an AO/UV2 obj file which is the exact copy of the main obj file, exception made for the values of texture coordinates.

Before I upload it, I need to be sure that it has enough rows for processing your model. Can you tell me the number of f and vt lines in the obj files you are processing? You can easily count them by pasting their content in an empty Excel document and by using the data filtering options or the COUNTIF function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I'll have to refresh my memory on how the TMAPs actually work since it's been so long since it had to be done by hex editing. (Pre 2007!)
BUT! Only faces and texture coords are saved to the TMAP sections if I am recalling correctly.
Thank you for your inputs Jeff!

Does that mean that faces and texture coordinates can be in a different order in the secondary map channel than in the primary one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I actually still have a program from 'back in the day' that exports and imports the different TMAP channels. So one could change or add just a TMAP and not have to re-import the complete obj like S3D does.

in future this tool might come in handy
gap is offline   Reply With Quote