Old 01-07-22, 01:26 PM   #79
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
There you go!
You looked behind the curtain and saw the Magic.
Hahahah, as of now I did not see any magic, sorry, but I am trying to figure out the logic and I must add that, complicated as it is with all those v, vt, vn and f lines to track down, most of what I see in the obj format finally makes sense to me.

Now I know that everything must be in the right order for us to be sure that UV2 coordinates are imported correctly in game. I know what I did wrong in the past and how to avoid those mistakes. Even so, the error is around the corner. A single, little mistake can mess up a whole UV map. For this reason, a program tracking down the most common causes of secondary UV map corruption, and correcting them where possible, would still be a valid help

From this perspective, Blender is an useful editing and diagnostic tool, as it allows us to import the UV map from one model to another identical model. If the two models have the same geometry but v/vt sorted in a different order, it will be immediately apparent that the imported UV map is buggy, and so it will be in game. I think kapuhy exploited this feature, and this is why he never had similar problems importing his AO-mapped units in game.
Nonetheless, Blender can't debug wrong AO models created with other programs, and this is where Almagest might show its AutoMagic powers

Quote:
I do suggest using Blender files as they are way smaller but produce the same results! Plus you get the modifier you like.
That's something I have noticed too. I believe Belnder to store the same information as Wings3D, but in a more "compact" way. That shouldn't have any effect on GR2 file size though.

There is a con to Blender-exported obj files though. If memory serves, GR2 Editor doesn't recognize one of the ASCII character it uses as line separator. If you open one of those files in Mircrosoft notepad you will immediately notice the difference as all the lines are shown one after the other, as if they were in the same paragraph. For GR2 Editor to read those files one needs to export/re-export the files in another program, or Notepad++ must be used to replace one character with the other. Kapuhy might know more on this topic.

Quote:
Not sure WHY the Wings files have so many Normals compared to the Blender files?
If you are referring to the files I sent you the answer is easy: I think my Blender exports have as many normals as vertices because I split hard edges before exporting. Provided that this is the correct answer, Wings-exported files have not a bigger number of vertex normals compared to Blender exports, but the other way around: they have a lesser number of vertices.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote