View Single Post
Old 08-16-20, 08:46 AM   #2
cheeky_kaleun
Watch

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
YouTube Naval presenter Drachinifel has produced a three-part series on the battle. See his YouTube home page here:

Drachinifel

-C
Cheers, I did start watching the Drachnifel Part 1 on Jutland. I couldn't find parts 2 and 3, have they been released yet or are they still in the pipeline?

I just quoted you into this thread as I managed to update the graphics settings on Jutland for 1920x1080 32 bit and take advantage of every graphical setting that my mid-2010s gaming computer could handle on a game made in 2007. See above for HMS Princess Royal peeling off from the Repulse, which was leading its two-ship division, as they separate to undertake separate missions.

Thanks indeed for the information on range-finding. Surely though one would have to admit that in terms of shooting, fire allocation and hits on target, at least during the "Run to the South", Beatty got his ass handed to him even if we ignore the battlecruiser flaws. Germans got more than twice as many heavy calibre shells onto the battlecruisers than they received in return. Was it just that Hipper and the German battlecruisers got lucky?

I was also wondering, as someone with 50 years of expertise in this area, what do you think about the convoy scenario I created, and specifically, how credible is it that a German battleline of three Nassau-class dreadnoughts (which didn't even have FC directors / computers, only centralised fire control i.e. fire all main battery at once although Nassau as I said could fire their A turrent and two wing turrets all in the forward direction) and five pre-dreadnought Deutschland class could inflict the damage I set out below.

The German battleline had a total of fifty-six 28cm guns versus thirty-two 15-inch guns of the QEs. Keep in mind the QEs course was 180 south and the German battleline sailing essentially 270 west with adjustments for interception. I suppose keep in mind that at any one time, the German battleline should only have been able to train only 19 28cm guns at my line of QEs encompassing their forward-firing big guns, whereas I could train all 32 of my 15-inch guns. My strategy was (contrary to Beatty's strategy of matching ship for ship) to concentrate all my fire from the QEs onto the lead ship, finish it off, then take out the next one.

One we closed to about 5,000 years things got ugly as the German battle line turned, numerous torpedoes were launched by both sides as we were that close. End result;

Royal Navy
Loses two Queen Elizabeth-class battlecruisers out of four present, two remaining heavily damaged and disengaging from battle area
Loses one armoured cruiser
Loses two light cruisers

German Navy
Lost three dreadnoughts, two pre-dreadnought Deutschland class, one pre-dreadnought light-to-moderate damage with fires and propulsion issues
Lost one light cruiser
Lost three destroyers

I suppose on paper, it doesn't seem like a terrible outcome, at the end of the battle two additional armoured cruisers were arriving and were chasing and firing 9.2inch guns at the fleeing German pre-dreads, the three remaining, as they fled north. And my convoy was safe. However, losing two Queen Elizabeths felt like a heavy blow, somehow I expected four QEs to have eight German battleships for breakfast.

In light of your knowledge of WW1 naval matters, what do you think? Is this a plausible engagement and result?

(incidentally, I've found HMS Agincourt, even with its primitive fire control, is a marvelous addition to any battle line; with its unprecedented and never matched 7 turrets and 14 x 12-inch guns, particularly when closing below 10,000 years. Because of its primitive fire control, it fires all main guns at once in a broadside shot, it's like this shotgun blast of fourteen 12-inch shells and when they find their target and 14 large calibre shells (or close to it, maybe a few overshoot) hit their target, it's just devastating.

Anyway sorry for the overlong response and again asking for your expert opinion, and also hoped you might enjoy the high definition picture of the battlecruisers (click on the picture to go full screen for full appreciation) in my re-jigged scenario in which I hope I can draw the German battleline into attacking the convoy.

Last edited by cheeky_kaleun; 08-16-20 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Re-editing for clarity
cheeky_kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote