View Single Post
Old 07-03-11, 03:10 AM   #641
Nisgeis
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 77
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enigma View Post
How can one ever discover which role he is playing when he no longer takes part of the game?
But that's a really big give away! One werewolf strategy is to keep quiet and not draw attention to himself. I was checking Ducimus' log in times and he was logging in consistently. I checked his posts and he had posted nothing at all, so the only reason to log in was to elect who to attack in a PM. I PMd him when I was suspicious and he didn't reply, even though he had logged in, so would have seen the PM. That's when I knew he was a werewolf, but of course I had no one to tell, without it looking like a diversion. Of course that's not roleplay, that's gameplay.

It's a good strategy for the opening and mid game, but not great for the end gane, when you can't suddenly say "Hey chaps! What's been occuring? Oh noes everyone is dead?! How could that have happened? Why are you all looking at me like that?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookiemookie View Post
Cheeze role play also includes acting on information that you the player has, but your character could not have. Not that anyone would be foolish enough to do it, but if someone in-game was sat by themselves, a mile away from the group and said "I wish I wasn't a werewolf" then your character would have no in game knowlege of that, and it would be cheeze for you to act or vote as if he did.
Didn't AVG do that? . The original game is played round a table where everyone can hear everything anyone says, as the game is to pick up on what people say and the way they act if they know they are 'guilty', or possibly what slip ups they make - e.g. knowing how many werewolves are left, when they shouldn't know.

In game one, Neal put the corpses of my victims near the submarine and also in a later narrative mentioned that I was rowing back to the sub in the small hours alone in a rowing boat. Oh no! Not good, so I had to invent a raid on the pub to get some booze to explain why I was alone, otherwise that could have been as hairy as I was at night. I did this in the style of a journal entry, which no one could have read, but everyone did. But then, if everyone was asleep or not near the sub, how could they have even seen me rowing back? What if your character doesn't go near the scene of the crime? Then you are forced to rely on some other character telling your character specifically that a murder happened, then they'd have to repeat all the details and it would get rather spammy and you only have 12 hours to discuss who the werewolves are and all the time you don't know about the murder is time lost.

Even if two people are in the same room together, they can't read each others thoughts, but people still read them. If you have strict RP rules so that you are not all knowing, then the main feature of the game - the questioning and counter questioning is lost.

I personally, as the SS man had an array of bugs around the whole castle, so I could listen in on everyone's conversations and gain intelligence that way .

The main point of the game if for werewolves to kill all humans and humans to kill all werewolves. Gameplay has to beat Roleplay - as we saw when people were roomed together. Otherwise we could all just cluster in one room with AVG's stockpile of weapons of the future and keep a good eye out for who turned into Robin Williams. Gameplay has to come first, as there are so many ways for roleplay to get in the way of gameplay.

But to help this... how about at the start of the game everyone sees a werewolf attack someone and then they werewolf gets shots so we can all have a good look at it. I think that's how the first game started - with an attack on an NPC. It works for cluedo . Then we don't have to go through the 'werewolves don't exist' stage, which I tried to help along with a good examination of the body and saying that it looked like a bear attack with immense power, so people could start talking about a monster straight away.