Old 05-22-22, 09:36 AM   #237
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
Well that didn't work.
Loaded game into C:\SH4 and it went thru the same process.
Showed intros and then the black screen of death and had to CTL-ALT-DELETE to reboot the computer.
I did find what may be the main.cfg file everyone's talking about in the SH4/DATA/Cfg file but being a total novice I'm not even sure if that's what I'm supposed to be looking for.
If you haven't installed the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs when doing the SH4 install, then the game does not have the "library" files to call for the display. This is automatically done with the Steam version, and I ~thought~ the Amazon download also - but maybe not... The disk version has it on the install menu.

Also, after installing the game, especially if you have a newer computer and OS, you HAVE to find the SH4.exe file in your install directory (folder), and set the Properties on the "Compatibility" tab such that it will properly display on your computer. The symptoms of failure to do that are similar to a DirectX problem in that the screen goes black and you cannot see the 3D portion of the game running. This is the price we pay for running a 2005 game, built for Windows XP, in the 'modern' Windows. Even if you have DirectX v27 though, you NEED the files in the DirectX v9.0c install. It will not overwrite anything, just add to it.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote