View Single Post
Old 05-06-13, 12:05 PM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Microsoft Essentials are not any essential at all. They are a waste of resources and notoriously score worst in security suite comparisons.

Why somebody uses IE8 when there is IE9 and I think now IE10 (never tested the latter myself), is beyond me. IE9 already is a decent browser, and if tightening options a bit is not more or less secure insecure than Firefox or Chrome. It gets targetted often - making it overrepresented in security statistics - and has a bad historic reputation, that are the two problems with it.

Firefox has become more and more technically unreliable. It'S nimbus of being "superior" I never was able to confirm by own experience when using several versions of it - and getting rid of them quite soon, always. It was displeasure, always, from A to Z. It has no security advantage anymore over Explorer - if it ever had (different from the attack frequency), which I tend to doubt.

Chrome is the browser that gets updated more often than any other, making it pretty much the leader in the being-up-to-date category, it also seems to run in kind of an inbuilt sandbox architecture, if I understood it correctly. The problem I have with it is that it is Google and thus Chrome uses a lot of privacy reaches that you need to have background knowledge about and need to manually take care of - and need to tune again after every update. I I may trust two friends of mine who know this kind of stuff for professional reasons inside out, if you do not want to become naked before Google'S eyes, Chrome is the by far most maintenance-heavy browser of all. For some people, privacy breaches like being run by things like Facebook, Google etc do not count as "security issues", but to me they are - and on an even more serious level than just a trojan that I detect, kill, reinstall, and am done with it. That's why I do not use Chrome, and never will. Argument is the same why I do not use Google+, Twitter, Facebook, and stuff like that. Early versions of Chrome, when it was released, received security warnings by several European police and other computer security agencies. Some of the security issues should have been deleted since then, while practically all privacy issues still prevail. If you love to be a digital nudist, Chrome is for you. It will let Google know EVERYTHING about you.

My browser tip is Opera. Market share just below 2%, that makes it the by far least targetted victim of attacks, and it has some clever features. Credit for bringing it to my awareness goes to Penguin - that was some of the best computer tips I have ever gotten by somebody. There are some nice addons that can easily be installed and managed that make your privacy and security even tighter.