View Single Post
Old 06-09-09, 10:28 AM   #18
Stealth Hunter
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboSmeggins View Post
Ahh... I thought the opening post said June 8th? Delayed then?
They pushed it back to the 17th for the E3 (it ended June 4th; that's not far off from June 8th) gathering and showed it off there. Also, there was some issues with the publisher that Neobq was having, but they cleared all of them up. IGN did a report on it.

777 Studios is still going to be putting it out in North America.

But on, there are two places as of now you can buy it from. The first one announced was GoGamer.com, and that was about two weeks ago. It's $40 bucks no matter where you go, but the GoGamer site offers free magazine subscriptions if it's your first time registering there (you can pick from a list of around a dozen). Additionally, they do not charge extra for shipping fees on it. However, they only ship to North America.

Here's a link for it:

http://www.gogamer.com/viewproduct.h...tid=SimHQROFAd

The second is FSPilotShop.com. It's $44.95 there, but that's because they ship internationally. I'm not sure what they might offer from joining up because I used GoGamer. Here's a link for it:

http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_i...5195f08d3caedb

Anyway, it doesn't matter what version you get in terms of features. Neobq has included a 150 page manual detailing things like mission types, gameplay, etc. It's not like Red Baron 3D's manual in terms of content (like historical tales and such; trust me on this, I got a chance to look at it), but it still tells you a lot about the game. Also, it's got a few features the Russian release didn't include (such as wounding, new skins for the D.VII and SPAD, and a few other things including some new planes). Finally, there's a 14x19 inch map included with the Dicta Boelcke on the back and a few paintings done for the game on it as well.

However, the Nieuport 17 and Albatros D.V were not included in this release due to some model problems that 777 Studios wanted fixed which were spotted in the Russian version. But you can still fly the D.VII, Breguet 14, and the SPAD, along with the exclusive Nieuport 28 and DFW C.V (these two were included to compensate for the removal of the Nieuport 17 and Albatros).

There are about 4 missions available for each plane as far as training ones are concerned. The patch for the Albatros and Nieuport 17 might be out and ready for download before June 17th (the update system ROF is using supplies CONSTANT updates, and they're not big or hard to download either with the log-in system; actually they weren't very big in size either at around 20MB or so).

Additionally, the missions for the campaign mode are ALWAYS randomly generated. There are around 8 types of missions total for it including lone wolf patrols (shoot any enemy aircraft down that you spot on a patrol), balloon attacks, photographic recons (this is where you can fly the Breguet or DFW), and ground attacks (depending on what you're attacking, you can fly the Breguet or DFW; sometimes, all it will take is two machine guns with incendiary bullets loaded to do the job).

You can pick pretty much any Jasta in existence during the war and around a dozen paint schemes for each plane (all of which are historical or were inspired by historical ones; Loewenhardt's laughing snake is included just so you know lol). At the E3, Jason Williams (the president of 777 Studios) showed off campaign mode features as well as single mission features and I was really impressed, particularly with his demonstration of the AI. At one point, he got to chasing a SPAD that he thought was fleeing, and the bugger kicked his rudder around and did a bank at the same time about 3,000 feet up. He opened fire on Jason, wounded him after a short burst, and forced him to land before proceeding to strafe him repeatedly. It was cool, lol.

I think that just about covers it. I'm helping out Neobq ATM with some of the historical aspects of the game for dogfighting tactics and the actual planes themselves. They're working on some DLC that will be expanding the game outwards to 1916 and early 1917. One of the awesome things about their setup is that they're collaborating with the players to find out what they want and what can be done to improve the game. Plus, they release new content for download and use EVERY week, no exceptions.
Stealth Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote