View Single Post
Old 03-16-11, 02:30 PM   #3110
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0

I have not had any premature detonations, but I did have 4 duds in a row trying to sink a parked cruiser last night. An 80° impact angle is apparently too much at times, even with the low-speed (31 kt.) setting.

That seemed to be borne out, because I swung around to where it was almost a straight stern shot, and was rewarded with a detonation for every hit.

FWIW, I ran into an an all-you-can-eat buffet near Truk in one of my recent patrols. Can't recall the date, but it was around the time you get news about Truk being invaded. Bagged one Hiryu-class carrier, a Kongo BB, a Maya heavy cruiser, and 4 or 5 Kuma-class light cruisers (around 5100 tons). Used every single torpedo aboard, had to swing by Midway for resupply before doing my primary assignment.

According to Wikipedia, I sank the entire historical Kuma class, but I rather suspect SH4 will ensure I haven't seen the last of them. Likewise for the Hiryu, of which only one existed historically. I also sank the entire Shokaku class of two on earlier patrols. Heck, I've been a one-boat strategic weapon. But I fully expect to see more ships of these classes anyway.

Somehow I think the IJN would not have just sat there and watched most of their invasion fleet blow up. The DD's, which I deemed not worth the torpedoes, never budged. I got a little fire at my periscope from the Kumas, but that was it.

It was really weird how easily the light cruisers went down. I would have expected a 5000t ship to take 2 torps minimum, but nearly all of them became artificial reefs upon contact with just one Mk. XIV.