View Single Post
Old 03-09-08, 11:57 PM   #54
moose1am
Frogman

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Microprose Pacific Air Wars 1942

I still have that game with all the disks and manuals. But I played it last on my Packard Bell 386SX 20 Mhz computer using Dos 5 or Dos 6.0 I lost some of the Dos 6.0 3.5" disks somehow. And my packard Bell computer's second memory bank is broke and won't keep the memory stick dimm locked in place

I stayed up many a night trying to figure out how to configure the memory to allow me to play that game. Putting drivers into upper memory and such. I even figured out how to do multiple Config.sys menus or what it multiple Auto.exe bat menus.

I use to love playing that game. I noticed that the TBD Torpedo planes were almost impossible to fly in advanced mode as they had no power expecially when loaded up with fuel and a big torpedo. I could not get them to take off and gain altitude in advance mode unless I put them on auto pilot.

The fun part of the game was controlling the air craft carries. Sending out scout planes and then sending out the bombers and torpedo squadrons. Then jumping into a fighter plane during the battle and trying to shoot down a Zero or other JPN game.

I tried to get this game working on a Windows 95 HP Pavilion Computer but had trouble getting it to run . Windows95 memory managment was harder to figure out. And my old CH Pro Joystick didn't want to work in Windows95. And I also have the original CH Rudder Pedals. They used a Y cable to connect the rudder pedals and the joystick ot the sound cards joystick input port. I tried using a CH joystick card too but had trouble getting that setup right. That was back around 2003 when I last tried to fool with that game.

I have all the old games still. I started out playing one of the earlier flight sim games on a Atari 800 Computer. I remember going over to this guys house and seeing him playing that flight sim on his atari computer. It was no fun watching the game from the sideline and I was more interested in something else at that time. This was the predicesor of the MS Flight Sim 1.0

And I use to play F15 Strike Eagle 1.0 on my Atari Computer. Graphis were like PONG back then. But I still spend many hours trying to win that game. It was strickly turn and burn in those days. Nothing but bank 90 deg and pull on the stick. I didn't have that much knowledge about using the verticle or energy management back in those days. I just had to dodge a lot of sam missiles and ememy jets and their aa missiles.

Does anyone know if PAW 1942 will run on a Windows XP Home System?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL
I bought this on ebay a couple years ago on a lark cause it was only $.99 and $2.50 shipping. I was highest bidder at $1.00.

Micro Prose 1942 The Pacific Air War.

6 floppies still sealed in original thin cellophane package.

2 manuals 84 page pilots manual

95 page game players guide

And large key reference card

All in mint condition Origanal box a little worn on edges.

I have never played it cause I don't want to open the factory cello containing the floppies. I don't think it's ever been played .

Moose1am

My avatar resembles the moderator as they are the ones that control the avatar on my page.
moose1am is offline   Reply With Quote