View Single Post
Old 02-19-21, 09:04 PM   #2773
ETAIPOS
Swabbie

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
As for the Widder versus Michel, I am glad you can say "clearly Michel". We have a "German_Auxilary_Cruisers.pdf" file in the Support / Extra_Info / Research folder, and there are no pictures of either vessel. A search on the internet does not find pictures. Do you know of an accurate source? Besides the "accurate" as in which date of their existence, that is a "Class" designation, not a specific ship designation. But if you have info, we might be able to accomplish something.
Ha, I have to admit I just used navypedia page (though it has only drawings...) and general internet search for Michel... For Widder some photos supposedly showing her pre war as Neumark came up on google. for example here: http://www.sixtant.net/2011/artigos....)raider-widder
Seemingly same ship is also on the photo on Polish(and a few other languages) wikipedia articles for Widder, though the photo itself is named NORDMRK instead, so maybe there was some sort of mixup with names? BDW, the same photo is also used for Orion, the second "old" HSK.

Still, the fact that Michel was brand new ship while Widder was some 10 years old suggest they probably looked differently. Widder was also much bigger than in game displacement, while Michel fits almost perfectly.

Looking at available evidence now, using the word "clearly" was definitely not justified

Quote:
Then, as for the "useless 10 day patrolling", those were your orders mister, and there is no such thing as "useless" in the US Department of the Navy. Always remember that... - The dispensation of the US submarines the first couple of years of the war was not very efficient. Most of the boats were put off major locations, near harbor patrols and airplane ASW, and quite a few were wasted with 10 days of useless patrol in Tablas Strait and the Verde Island passage - four boats, in fact. Of course, the US wasn't certain as to where the Japanese were going to come from... so, is it really "useless"?
And I fulfilled those orders to the letter But as I had not spotted even a fishing boat, it was objectively useless Though I do understand that for high command getting information in which places there are no enemy ships is only slightly less valuable than where they are

Quote:
As for the Contact Report bug, the game uses a rather limited "algorithm" to determine responses to Contact Reports. As such, you "targeted" a transport, which is UnitType=103 Troop Transport. There is no big, medium or small designation in that Class designation. When you got the response, "Sink the Large Transports", it actually hides a "tonnage" requirement in the Contact Report 12.mis file, of a total of 3600 tons of Troop Transports. The "Small Transports" are only about 1800 ton each, so you would need three of them for a "completed objective". The contact report objectives are not worth that much anyway. We reduced the amount they give, because there are issues with the "logic" in the game with them... I'll change that "large" designation though, to just "Sink all of the Troop Transports you can! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!" or some such. Thanks for mentioning that.
Ha, I was considering that I just sunk too few troop transports but wasn't sure what is more important in the order - "large" or "Troop Transport" and as I had problems with proper aiming I wasted a too many torps to attack another one. Unfortunately by night of 23/24th when I arrived there most were probably unloaded already...

Last edited by ETAIPOS; 02-19-21 at 09:18 PM.
ETAIPOS is offline   Reply With Quote