Old 02-19-21, 05:35 PM   #2771
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Oh, why, FotRSU is better, of course... - but seriously, this is based on the v1.7 TMO, but it ain't nowhere near as tough as TMO. It is dolled-up though, to be prettier, and it definitely has more ships and planes. TMO benefits from the use of a Large Address Aware app, but with FotRSU, it is mandatory, else the game will crash. To double-check your LAA activation, just load SH4.exe (NOT the ico file) into LAA, and if the tick box isn't checked, then that means it didn't "take" the first time, which usually means that the "Read-only" attribute is set. If such is the case, navigate into the game folder, right-click on SH4.exe, and choose "Properties" from the resultant context menu. The first tab is the "General" tab, and at the bottom of that should be "Attributes" with a tick box for "Read-only". If it is empty, you are good to go. If it has a checkmark in it, clear and "OK" your way out. Do LAA again.

My last install of SH3 Steam no longer had a DirectX v9.0c install prompt, but when I first started the game, it did install DirectX v9 and the codecs. Don't interrupt that process if your Steam SH4 does that. Usually speaking, if there is a DirectX failure, there is a 3D failure message. If there is a version problem with SH4 (Steam v1.3 versus UBoat Missions), it is usually the Black80.tga file that is mentioned, not the VolumetricFogPS.fx file... that's why I'm guessing an LAA issue.
propbeanie +1

Being a Steam.. connoisseur, as it were...

With Steam, they have 2 versions of SH4, that any who use that as their source for getting SH4, needs to be aware of this fact.. & other than your saying SH4 v1.3 (which is not 1 of them 2 there through Steam, it is actually SH4 v1.4 & SH4 v1.5) I do concur with the rest of what you said...

If an error code of 'Black80.tga' crops up, it is owing to the fact that the subsimmer, using Steam, inadvertently grabbed SH4 v1.4, instead of SH4 v1.5, which is understandable given as I stated above...

Upon reading what was said, My 1st thoughts went to.. did they ensure that:

1. They went into properties on the SH4.exe & uncheck read only...

2. Did they utilize either a 4GB patch to said SH4.exe or Large Address Aware... ( which to Me, LAA, is the simpler to use.. it is a simple 3 step process, point it at where the .exe is, check to have 4 GB RAM assigned to it & finally.. click accept or OK... as it were &... Done. Ezy peazy.. Mac & cheezy... So simple a cave man could do it... )

*wipes My eyes... & lets out a whoo...* Sorry... My weird twisted sense of humor running amok there..

On 1st install of SH4, can confirm, that SH4 does indeed do an initial set up of all that is needed for it to run, & if memory serves Me right.. I believe that does include dx in that, as well.. & as you pointed out, it is imperative.. that you DO NOT interrupt it... that can't be stressed enough.

At any rate, hope this info helps.. & is found to be useful.. as always...

Am off to go sink the entire IJN... singlehandedly... & not get sunk, in the process...

Fair winds, smooth seas & good huntin'...

M. M.