View Single Post
Old 02-19-21, 03:19 PM   #2767
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Probably been reported already, but attempting transfer to Milne Bay location does not work. I tried it in March 1944, but started my patrol outside Brisbane...
Definitely "broke" as KaleunMarco says, and it is fixed for the next release. The main problem is the spelling of "Milne Bay" versus "MilneBay" between the various "calls" for the Advance Base, plus the fact that it, being a "copy" of Brisbane, it still had the Brisbane spawn-in locations. That is an interim copy of the Flotillas file that found its way into the "final" release of v1.39 instead of a "finished" copy of the file. The next release has updated locations, and now issues have been found with Majuro location also, and I'm sure more are yet to be found...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
... When the time was right, I let slip the dogs.. erhm, torps of war...

Both went off, as they should, ships were destroyed & sent on their way to the bottom... that is, as was shown on the map, & the ships both launching a red flare... the Kasagisan Maru, went to the bottom... the Taisohan Maru, however... stayed afloat, a burning wreck... shown on the map as being sunk.. YET... refusing to do so, as it should.... it kept on being afloat. It NEVER sank below the waves.. & the good news despite that... I still got credit for it.

In addition to that, ran across a Jyunsen Type 1, sank that... but.. like the Taisohan maru.. it didn't slip beneath the waves headed for the bottom... completely. However, unlike the Taisohan Maru, the aft 1/2 did slip beneath the waves, the bow bobbed about like a cork... & the sub was still in 1 piece, with 2 torp blown holes in it...
That's what your deck gun is for mister! Actually, that is part of the problem with both the flare going up, and the "sunk" icon appearing. Look how many reports there were from US skippers of "ship sunk", and they hadn't actually, but rather were able to limp somewhere, or ground themselves, to be repaired later. I have had similar, and one hit from the deck gun would probably put the JyunsenB down, while it might take a few to get the ship beneath the waves. Just remember, there are some fanatic gunsmen on some of those ships, that keep their stations until underwater...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETAIPOS View Post
I found two small questionable situations

In my first patrol in (USS Salmon, Manila) I was sent first for useless 10 day patrolling off south coast of Hainan, finishing that, I was called to Lingayen where I arrived in 22/23 December night. I slipped past patrols in the mouth of the gulf and found landing force there. Reported to COMSUBPAC and I was ordered to sink large troop transports. The problem? There was not a single one. The landing force was composed of small passenger carriers, medium and large freighters. I sank 2 passenger, one medium and 2 large freighters but objective was not fulfilled.

It seems a bug as mission do not correspond to actual landing TF composition.

On a side note, after finishing the patrol in the mouth of Lingayen Gulf (including short shadowing of TF with 2x Kongo, 2-3xCA and large oiler), I was not given other orders so I decided to investigate Borneo on the way to Surabaya. While on the way (about 40 miles North from Palawan) I spotted and sunk small TF - HSK Michel and 6,5k ton Japanese freighter.

Why is Michel classified as Widder class? The model is clearly Michel, not Widder.
As for the Widder versus Michel, I am glad you can say "clearly Michel". We have a "German_Auxilary_Cruisers.pdf" file in the Support / Extra_Info / Research folder, and there are no pictures of either vessel. A search on the internet does not find pictures. Do you know of an accurate source? Besides the "accurate" as in which date of their existence, that is a "Class" designation, not a specific ship designation. But if you have info, we might be able to accomplish something. Then, as for the "useless 10 day patrolling", those were your orders mister, and there is no such thing as "useless" in the US Department of the Navy. Always remember that... - The dispensation of the US submarines the first couple of years of the war was not very efficient. Most of the boats were put off major locations, near harbor patrols and airplane ASW, and quite a few were wasted with 10 days of useless patrol in Tablas Strait and the Verde Island passage - four boats, in fact. Of course, the US wasn't certain as to where the Japanese were going to come from... so, is it really "useless"? As for the Contact Report bug, the game uses a rather limited "algorithm" to determine responses to Contact Reports. As such, you "targeted" a transport, which is UnitType=103 Troop Transport. There is no big, medium or small designation in that Class designation. When you got the response, "Sink the Large Transports", it actually hides a "tonnage" requirement in the Contact Report 12.mis file, of a total of 3600 tons of Troop Transports. The "Small Transports" are only about 1800 ton each, so you would need three of them for a "completed objective". The contact report objectives are not worth that much anyway. We reduced the amount they give, because there are issues with the "logic" in the game with them... I'll change that "large" designation though, to just "Sink all of the Troop Transports you can! ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK!" or some such. Thanks for mentioning that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Having finally completed a career in v1.39+Nippon Maru I am reluctant to start another if the next release is "imminent" . Is there a projected release date or should I just go for it and be prepared to start over when the new version is released?

Patience is a virtue to some. Think I'll try it.

It ~was~ imminent... the key word being "was"... I keep finding issues. All other "problems" have been resolved (save what ETAIPOS just reported), near as we can tell, but the Flotillas file is putting up a stubborn fight, like MM's ships staying above the waves. Just downright stubborn, it is... I was guessing with s7rikeback that maybe two weeks?? maybe. I'd do another career with v1.39, but don't do any transferring to the Advance Bases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
No, I only have one sh4.exe, presumably v1.5 since I now have the U-boat Missions installed.

Yes there are two shortcuts (one for regular SH4, one for the U-boat edition), but from what I can tell they do exactly the same thing.

FotRS does run now and I can go on patrol, but I'm having another very random bug. Torpedoes won't fire. At all.

Can't find any discussion of anyone else having this problem, so far. Nothing in the documentation. Strange.
I'm having exactly the same problem. The menu works, but when I load a game (even the training missions) it immediately either freezes or crashes after the 'No Mission Too Difficult' screen. If it freezes and I return to desktop, a notification appears saying 'unknown error' and then another saying 'Data/Shaders/VolumetricFog/VolumetricFogPS.fx'.

How did you fix this problem?
As for the torpedo shooting, and other issues of that ilk:
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In the game's root folder (whatever you installed into) are the pictures of the old reference cards, updated for FotRSU by CapnScurvy. Look for "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back.jpg" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front.jpg". On the "Back" page, it says to press and hold the <Alt> key and then press the <Enter> key to fire the torpedo. This prevents inadvertent firing of same... - not that I've ever done that, of course... - Use the <W> key to cycle through the fore tubes, and the <E> key to cycle through the aft tubes. Use the <Q> key to open the tubes, prior to firing, else any firing solution is ruined. It is imperative that any skipper familiarize themselves with the proper function of their submarine, especially Crash Dive (<Ctrl><D>), Ahead Flank (number <5> key) and Hard to Port or Starboard (the "bracket" keys <[> and <]>. Evasive maneuvers, in other words... - The use of the greater than and less than signify a "key" to press... (ie: < space >)
The way you are describing the crash, first of all, make certain that you are using the "Uboat Missions AddOn" start of Steam. Be certain the "Save" folder was emptied before first starting FotRSU, and make certain that the LAA (or other Large Address Aware program of your choice) is properly activated on the SH4.exe file. This might entail having to remove the "Read-only" designation of the SH4.exe file's Windows attributes.

Always open the torpedo tubes - with the "Q" key, switch forward tubes with the "W" key, and the aft tubes with the "E" key - before you shoot. Shoot with an <Ctrl><Enter> key combination.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote