View Single Post
Old 02-19-21, 07:20 AM   #2763
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Question... part deux...

after My last query, on getting awarded a Gato class boat... then being foisted off to being based at Pearl, rather than being still home ported at Freemantle, which prior to getting the Gato, I was in a Tambor class boat.

That aside, just finished off My 7th patrol, &... applied for a Trans, which with the time it is, options were either Midway... or Brisbane.. with Midway being nearly on top of Pearl.. I decided to put in for Brisbane... so, am back in closer to the action. Yeah, Me...

OK, that said.. do have some info to impart, concerning a ship I came across while in transit back to Pearl, before I put in for that trans...

Got radar report of a contact.. got the base course, laid in an intercept course, & waited for the ships to come into range for My attack.

When the ships did so, I ID'ed them, as being 1 Kasagisan Maru + 1 Taihosan Maru...

I set up for 2 fish to each target, 1 below their draft, the other to side impact at 1/3 their draft.

When the time was right, I let slip the dogs.. erhm, torps of war...

Both went off, as they should, ships were destroyed & sent on their way to the bottom... that is, as was shown on the map, & the ships both launching a red flare... the Kasagisan Maru, went to the bottom... the Taisohan Maru, however... stayed afloat, a burning wreck... shown on the map as being sunk.. YET... refusing to do so, as it should.... it kept on being afloat. It NEVER sank below the waves.. & the good news despite that... I still got credit for it.

In addition to that, ran across a Jyunsen Type 1, sank that... but.. like the Taisohan maru.. it didn't slip beneath the waves headed for the bottom... completely. However, unlike the Taisohan Maru, the aft 1/2 did slip beneath the waves, the bow bobbed about like a cork... & the sub was still in 1 piece, with 2 torp blown holes in it... 1 forward of the conning tower, the other aft, right ahead of the props. Like the Taisohan Maru, I did get credit for its destruction as well.

See attached snap shot...

End report...

M. M.