Thread: [WIP] "Lochinvar" Clyde puffer
View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 12:19 PM   #60
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Icon14

Thank you for your very detailed, patient and clear explanations. I'm impressed, and happy to learn so many things !

I still have a few comments :

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
Obviously you are expecting all vertical surfaces to be equally illuminated because you have in mind a light source placed about on top of the boat. Nonetheless you should remember that the AO map simulates the occlusion of ambient light: i.e. light coming from all the directions.
Yes, IMO no light should come from the bottom to create the AO map of a ship. I think that this is not realistic, because in reality you don't have any sun light coming from the bottom, but only very little light reflection by the sea. So, the solution (to avoid "undue" shadow on the cabin) would be to create the AO map on the cabin without the ship's deck occluding the light.

Quote:
Once in game, this effect will be balanced by the top sunlight, and boat's shading will look perfectly natural
No, because in game the hull will receive as much sun light as the cabin, so the difference of illumination will be noticeable between hull and cabin (more "AO shadows" on cabin).

Quote:
Talking in general, a mixed wind/engine propulsion can be used to spare fuel and increase top speed with favourable winds. As I have read, aboard puffers the jib sail was used on occasions. In game, the sail will be set as an optional equipment, so it will be rarely seen. The plan that this model is based on also features a mainsail, but that was used very rarely (probably in case of emergencies as noted by kapuhy) and I decided not to include it in my model.
Ok, I was suspecting something like that. I think it's a good idea to set the sail as an optional element.

Last edited by Mister_M; 03-04-21 at 12:36 PM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote