View Single Post
Old 03-04-21, 04:37 AM   #55
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
The screenshots I posted yesterday were taken in Wings3D. (...) The one source of light in my screeshots is a standard emispherical lighting which, I think, is aligned with the x axis.
1) Ah ok. So there are two "shadowing" parameters involved : ambiant scene light + AO map.

2) Can't you have any preview directly in Autodesk Softimage Mod Tool 7.5 ?

Quote:
(...) it is logical for objects on the deck - whose exposure to diffuse light is occluded by bulwarks and superstructure - to be darker than hull.
3) Yes sure. But I was not talking about these objects, but mainly about the large vertical surfaces of the cabin which are all grey instead of white like the hull. And about the lifeboat which is far too much dark in my opinion. So if the texture applied to those meshes is white for example, they will appear grey even if directly exposed to the sun light...

Quote:
The only manual touch ups I made to the procedural AO map, was (...) removing the pre-rendered diffuse shadows cast by breakable model parts, otherwise those darker spots would look odd when the boat is damaged and the objects casting them are ripped away from the main model.

https://i.imgur.com/RwG35hh.png
4) So the life buoy should not be breakable as there is a dedicated shadow for it on the cabin.

5) Other than that, one quick question : what is the sail used for, as there is already a propeller ? I doubt that it's used for propulsion purpose. Maybe for lateral maneuvers ?

Last edited by Mister_M; 03-04-21 at 04:51 AM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote