View Single Post
Old 03-02-21, 03:21 PM   #48
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
Looks great Especially the bow area is so cool with that winch and all the details around it.
The windlass - as well as anchor and rudder chains - was one of the last features I added and probably the most challenging part to be modelled. Unlike other details, it was only drafted on the plan I used as template, so for the most part I had to figure out shapes and proportions from pictures of puffer scale models. It was a little PITA but I hope that the final result, with all the texture maps ready, will be worth all the work.

Talking about textures, I have a couple of questions for you. I am considering whether to blend ambient occlusion and diffuse map in one texture or to keep them separate and to create a second UV projection for diffuse mapping. This is a delicate step: add one new vertex to one of the 3D models (AO or diffuse), peform any operation that alters vertex/face order in the exported obj files, and the AO mapping will be scrabled.

For your small ship models, did you adopt secondary UV channel and, if so, which steps did you follow?

IIRC, you are a Blender user. I use this program mostly for special tasks (in the current model, the sail wind effect was done using Blender), but my main modelling/UV-mapping tool is Wings3D. I have read that, like 3ds Max, Blender is capable of handling multiple UV maps per object. That is indeed the safest way to deal with multiple UV maps, because you are sure that, untile you export them, all the projections apply exactly at the same object, not two copies of the same object.

As far as you know, is Blender capable of importing two or more UV maps from two identical (except for UV coordinates) obj files?

Is it possible to preview the blending of the two textures connected with each UV map directly in Blender?

When you choose to export the model as an obj file, can you choose which one of the UV maps will be exported on file?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote