View Single Post
Old 04-02-22, 12:02 AM   #13
Torpex77
Helmsman

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There are several stories of DD shooting torpedoes at subs. The SingleMission in FotRSU "Three Of A Kind" that cdrsubron7 built, is based on such an incident, where a sub on the surface was approaching a stationary DD near Attu. The US at the time was not cognizant of range of the Japanese Long Lance, so the sub was trying to get closer / faster in order to use their torpedoes before the DD got underway. Lookouts reported torpedo tracks coming at them when about 6,000 yards out, so they crash dived, and then heard more torpedoes inbound. I have the boat's name somewhere in my pile of 'stuff'... but there are other subs that have reports of torpedoes shot at them in their War Patrol Reports. They did not happen often, but they were not rare either. From what I can gather, less than the number of friendly-fire incidents, but there were quite a few. Submarines were often mistaken for a DD or subchaser from a distance, and the Japanese loved to shoot their Long Lance from long range. "Surprise" factor...
Ive read a load of Books on US subs, patrol reports and Books and nothing I ever read ever mentioned it. If you have a reference Id love to read the report. Not disrespecting you, Id like to see how exactly they concluded it was a DD or a Jap sub. How did the Japanese Know what depth to set? The Long Lance was a contact torpedo, so setting depth would be like shooting at a duck with a rifle at night. I cant imagine any Commanding Officer in any Navy wasting a resource like torpedos. Late war=desperation would seem reasonable.

I dont discount it happened a couple times, but as a matter of normal action, doesnt justify it on large scale in a simulation.

The USS Barb had a rocket launcher at the request of Fluckey..can we get that too?

I just think FOTRS has done really amazing and respectable things, and hate to see it get Arcady like Crash Dive II where the torpedo's go down 200+ ft and take out a sub.
Its also a Historical respect thing IMHO.