View Single Post
Old 07-02-14, 01:39 PM   #137
denis_469
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
I share your skepticism comrade! (itchy neck syndrome) given the nature of this type of warfare and the propensity of enhancing the tonnage/kill count. But this was a night attack, close enough to ID the vessel type, at 900 YARDS ON THE SURFACE with a smelly 2 mile oil slick and audible secondary explosions ie three points of confirmation. The log is a first-person account-not disproven-and optical illusion does not factor in here; the more so as a failure from the night before is honestly admitted; so impetus to inflate the count appears minimal. A first-hand account is always best-the ship's log is considered a primary source account. I go with eye-witness accounts: Somethin' got sunk! PS: my source for movement for I-372 shows no damage or involvement at time of 2/10/1945. I-372 appears to have been elsewhere and no damage is indicated of a catastrophic nature. "8 February 1945:
Departs Yokosuka for Takao, Taiwan. I-372 is slated to participate in the rescue of the stranded Army pilots from Batulinao, northern Luzon, Philippines. After the loss of RO-112 and RO-113, the mission is canceled and I-372 is recalled to Kure.

14 February 1945:
Arrives at Kure. The IJN intends to send I-372 to Iwo Jima with a cargo of artillery shells, but the situation there turns hopeless.
16 February 1945:
Kure Navy Yard. I-372 commences a conversion to carry aviation gasoline. Probably during the same conversion a snorkel tube is fitted." Clearly a healthy I-372.
If you see my research, so you can see number submarine attacks what I know - it is near 50-60000 attacks. And I find, that all navy covert himself losses. In various time all navy start write in documents this losse:
a - ship sunk
b - ship was heavy damage and abandoned crew

ships what was damage, but not abandone not write in documents. You need see in repair ships after attacks, so you can not write damage in documents, but repair time you can not covert, so ship in werft and need time for repair.

I understand this and now I see in repair data for ships/subs manly.
denis_469 is offline   Reply With Quote