View Single Post
Old 06-24-17, 02:58 AM   #26
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx View Post
With the risk of being obvious, repeat what has already been said and/or you already know, i'll give you my two cents.

I'll focus on enemy sensors.

I'll start by saying that their passive sensor is linked mainly by these factors:
1 - Noise produced by your ship
2 - Whether or not you are within their operational angle arc
3 - Your distance
4 - Your depth
5 - If the path between both is clear (any ship between can create enough disturb to destroy the signal

What you can do to decrease their passive signal is to put some distance, reduce or kill your speed, activate silent running, put some other ship between, change the layer and most important stay in its shadow zone.
Decrease your depth will be effective only if you can go pretty deep like beyond 1000 ft (works pretty well against choppers)

The active sensor on the other hand are linked to:
1 - Your distance
2 - Your profile exposure

So what you can do is put some distance and try to limit your exposure (having the target directly on your bow or stern) and again stay in the shadow zone.

So first of all please do not beam the target unless the active value is low, otherwise you will just make easier for them to spot you once the value increase. Second decrease any noise generated by your sub as much as possible (or at least the necessary amount in order to avoid finding yourself moving too slow to maneuver in time). Third, try to understand as soon as possible whether there is a safe shadow zone but beware of choppers, if choppers presence are already confirmed then you will have to consider going deep. Fourth, try to use their own sensor limits against them.

Devs already said that limiting your aspect can cut the value by up to 25%. I'll give some examples, if you beam the target with an active value of 10 and he pings you then be sure he will start to track you. On the other hand, if you aim perfectly toward the enemy or away from the enemy, to detect you they will need four time the normal value (10/0.25 = 40). Can you take this as a safe value? No! Because once they are simply too close, like below 3000yrds, they will at least move toward you, maybe without engaging you. It happened more than once that i got a ping from a target about 2.5kyds but the relative bearing was 0 and he simply did not see me.

For last but not least, in theory the active sonar should be disturbed when you are close to the bottom but after many test i can confirm that it is not working like this in this game or at least how the AI reacts to this dirty value. In the best scenario i saw them just parking above me for a long time, but usually they will just stay there and attack you.
Hi NightEagle, thanks for you post.

My main issue was I was starting missions where the enemy sub already had over +10 on his passive return to me before I'd even had a chance to take any action.
I don't know if this was because I was using the distance scale set to 1/1 because it didn't happen every time, but since changing it back to the default setting of 1/2 it hasn't happened at all.
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote