View Single Post
Old 04-20-22, 10:41 PM   #12
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Led View Post
Thank you for such an in depth answer, any more and we would have reached crush depth captain.

My sh*tty jokes aside that is some great explanation. The more I learn about the US navy side of things in ww2 the more i am baffled by the incompetence of their higher ups. Between operation drumbeat, the mk14, the battle of midway ( sending scattered group by mistake which somehow worked out). Really a case where the lower officers and regular airmen/ sailors had to make the difference ( before the massive industry would pop a carrier every other day or something).
My last question here, do you have mod recommendation that work with your mod beside the fire mod? Anything with better sound, graphics, gameplay (welp anything really) Depth charge sound disturbance was mentionned already by goldmastersims

You're welcome, details are important to understand the differences in the theaters and intricacies of the mod etc. I explain things thoroughly in the README so when/if you use TMO please check out the README, it is vital. I can always tell who read it and who did not lol.

Graphics in TMO are already enhanced over stock, incorporated are already in the mod and am happy with them. Don't want to mess with anything, as changing the environment etc can have all sorts of ramifications. Visual sensors and other interact with the environment and everything is tuned to the "native" environment in TMO, changes, mods not tested with it , adjusted etc can have dractic effects.

In the README will listed mods and some optional enhancement mods are included, README has the details. Number one mod though ( a customized version is forthcoming) is EAX Sound simulation by Vickers03. EAX sound sim changes the acoustic environment. The default sounds in SH 4 are terrible. EAX simulates things like how sounds travels across and under the war and other sounds. Just a excellent mod and absolutely necessary to get the full experience.

Far depth charge disturbance mod. I have stopped using it as it makes things too easy even with multiple tweaks. I have one more version to test, hopefully will find the balance.

For further details, will need to see the README.

Yes, the submarines, especially in early war, were hampered by bureaucracy and pre war mindset. Admiral Ernest King was responsible for the disaster during Drumbeat, refusing to implement convoys, because British suggested it and he hated the Brits, said convoys was "defensive."

Midway for submarines, they were deployed in manner in which subs were in such situation, problem was they were running submerged so in that large area, unlikely to contact anything being essentially a slightly mobile minefield. Midway was before subs had SJ surface search radar and some did not had SD air search radar yet either. Then Nautilus did find the carriers, but faulty torpedoes prevented sub from being effective.

I am still amazed at the torpedo scandal myself, but not shocked. Nature of bureaucracy and "stuffy" institutions with hierarchies which enforce a institutionalized system where one mistake and your career is essentially over, which is sadly prevalent in today's Navy. This fosters a ethos of "cover your ass" instead of okay I messed up, lets solve the problem. Did you know Chester W. Nimitz, who would become our best Admiral, grounded a vessel when a young Officer? In todays Navy and even the peacetime Navy of the 1930's and early 40's, he would have never made it up the ranks unless had family connections etc. Luckily he was a young officer before that doltish mentality really took hold.

Remember the F-14 pilot who shot down a Air Force plane during a training exercise? Sure, he never flew Navy aircraft again but still went on to become a Admiral, but his father was a Admiral. While I am glad his career was not entirely over, if he had not had the connection, he would have never made it very far if not booted out of the service entirely) is such that those at the top are removed from realities of the men on the front line. Naval Bureau of Ordnance was a fairly prestigious shore assignment in the pre war years and by time war came around, several high ranking Admirals who had served shore duty assigned to BurOrd were now in command and admitting torpedoes were faulty, would be admitting they did something wrong.

Germans solved their torpedo problems in roughly 6 weeks and disciplined the officers responsible, even executing a couple if I recall. Now, that is a bit much (very German though lol)
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote