View Single Post
Old 07-08-12, 05:51 AM   #57
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Hello,
i think your post, MrRapp, was a a good one. It just needs to be talked about more often. I am sure the civilians you met and the schools you built along with helping wounded in hospitals gave a good and shining example (no joke meant), and the people were indeed thankful.
This is unfortunately NOT what we usually see and hear about in the media, including Fox News.

It is not about left or right now.
But it was during the US interventions in middle and south America, especially 9/11 1973 in Argentina, and it is from this time the USA still has its image. "Lest we forget" is also a motto in other nations, worldwide.

I do not doubt the good intentions and what you and others did there - also Iraqis were not quite so badly misled by religious and anti-american propaganda under Saddam, like it was and is done in other countries being ruled by dictatorships being disguised as religious leaders. Saddam with his own dictatorship had been supported with money and weapons for decades, by the US and others, indeed by almost all western nations.

Iraq was attacked because Saddam had turned against the Saudis, and while all western nations agreed with Saddam to attack all his other neighbours (especially Iran) all the time, the milk turned sour with his attacks against the Saudis and their oil. I still do not know what he had in mind, did he think he could remove the Saudi regime and help so the US ?
And let's not talk about Halliburton and influential lobbies seeing their investments in danger.

However it always depends on the people doing the field work, and if your detachment impressed the locals in a positive way, this will probably do more for a better relationship than any political dodge, in the long run. Good will is always being remembered.
And you did something there, which is more than most people here can probably say.

What do you think went wrong in Iraq, or in Afghanistan now ? Should we have stayed after all, for the population, or for resources ?
Imho we cannot beat decades of indoctrination and propaganda by some few years of presence. If we leave too early we let them have their way, again.

Last edited by Catfish; 07-08-12 at 06:11 AM.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote