View Single Post
Old 10-19-23, 06:41 PM   #1463
Treetop64
Torpedoman

Downloads: 229
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyhd1986 View Post
Hey gents, I'm looking to get into RFB coming over from FotRS mod. Its a great mod but I feel like there is a ton of targets. My question is what is a good mod soup to go along with RFB? Anything I should look into? I'm really big on realism and challenging patrols.
Played RFB for years, and I only just downloaded and started using FotRS a couple of weeks ago. And, if I'm being honest, I only did that so I could use the sub interior mod. If not for that I'm not sure I would have ever downloaded FotRS.

Anyway, My setup for RFB in order of activation:
1 - 100 RFB_2.0_with_Patch
2 - RSRD_RFB_v575
3 - RSRD_V5xx_Patch1
4 - Razzle Dazzle non TMO ver1
5 - New_Harbours_and_Late_War_Traffic_1.23

I keep my mod soups to a minimum. Install only what improves or enhances, and not stuff that changes something just for the sake of changing it.

The New Harbours, while interesting, in some cases could cause problems if you're not careful, because some of the friendly harbors get some underwater obstructions that can catch you out. Of course, if enemy obstructions stop you, well...
I used it with no problems, but YMMV.

I really like RFB. Some people complained vehemently but I though the difficulty was appropriate. Especially the faithful Mk14s performance (or the nearly total lack thereof) early in a war campaign. Mk14s going halfway through 1943 are almost entirely unreliable and it will drive you nuts. Also, you're not going to be able to use the transducers (the sonar "bulbs" under the hull) while cruising on the surface during patrol. The reality is that there was too much bow splash and water noise at 10 knot patrol speeds for the fleet boat's transducers to be of any use. In this regard IMO FotRS is too easy in this area, picking up sonar contacts over the horizon while at 10 knots on the surface in any sea state. The downside for RFB is that you must submerge to use the passive sonar at all, whether it's a fleet boat or pig boat.

One of the things that actually bothered me about RFB is that the metacenter physics modelled for some destroyers is really wonky. They unrealistically sway left and right like bathtub toys, even in glass-calm seas. Only some of RFB's DDs suffer this, the majority handled the seas like they normally would.

Another thing to note is that being an older mod, the ship models and textures aren't quite as numerous and don't look as good as they do in FotRS. Except the subs themselves, which have excellent textures. Actually better than those in FotRS, but more on that below.

Had to install a ton of additional mods on top of FotRS just to get it near a difficulty level I was used to in RFB. And the 4K Sub Skins addon is an absolute must have for FotRS. They make a world of difference. I hate to say it but the default sub textures in the mod are almost unbearable to look at, especially when you're standing on the bridge. The fore-mentioned sub interior mod is amazing, one of the most important mods ever developed for SH4.

Last edited by Treetop64; 10-19-23 at 07:02 PM.
Treetop64 is offline   Reply With Quote