View Single Post
Old 10-31-14, 04:38 AM   #2
ajrimmer42
Royal Kinotropist

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0

[20/07/2014]

UPDATE 1:

We're gonna need a bigger desk! First things first, the hull. The fit isn't brilliant on mine, I decided to glue the sides together first, then glue the 2 halves together. I'm not sure if this was the best way, I've seen people do both and say it worked for them so I guess it's personal preference. The sides themselves fit ok after a little sanding but bringing the halves together was a bit of a pain. The stern was just alright but the bow was totally out of shape, I had to start at the back, gluing and bulldog clipping along. Luckily bulldog clips fit perfectly on the keel. Still had a large gap in the middle though, but not a problem as the second job was to seal it all up with epoxy. I'm aware of the inaccuracy of the keel however I've made the decision to keep it as is, and just sand down where it will be seen like the bow. I figured the keel would add a bit more strength to the whole thing and maybe some stability in the water, although I think any effect would likely be negligible. A quick tip is to place the bracing spars in at this time too. I actually sandwiched mine between to balsa planks which really stiffened them up! This also allows rubber bands to be put around the hull without the upper part just caving in.

While the epoxy is drying I moved onto the other mammoth task of sanding the wood off the decks. It is raised detail however so isn't as difficult as it could be.

I zipped over it with the end of the metal rule which just takes the top bits off, making it a bit easier to then go in with various sanding and skinny sticks. Finally I measured and scribed out some metal plates. That little scriber doohickey I actually found on the pavement outside my house the other day, dunno what it is or where it came from but it was absolutely perfect for this.

I got as far as the middle deck then decided I needed a break before the stern deck, so I threw the boats together and made up some tarps from milliput. I think the boats would most likely be covered over when out at sea. I'm also going have them swung out on their davits as from what I've read they were a bit of a faff to get off the deck so most of the time they were left hanging.

And there she if for the moment, completely dwarfing my DUKW!

I still haven't decided exactly what to do with the whole removable deck situation, obviously ideally the more decks I have permanently affixed and watertight the better.

So that's where she is after day 1. Once the epoxy is dried tomorrow I'll get the hull cleaned up properly, not much more I can do to the hull then until I get all my brass bits and bobs.

TBC...

Don't judge a ship by the number of it's guns, but by the skill of it's crew.
ajrimmer42 is offline   Reply With Quote