View Single Post
Old 05-11-22, 08:22 PM   #39
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
For me it raises a lot of questions, Moskva from what I can deduce her position was mainly to provide air defense......well in this case total failure as we saw.

There seems to be no logic to their operation, their logistical supply chain is well non existent. Their knowledge of what weapons Ukraine has should have given them a major advantage.

However now what were seeing is a "professional" army fighting a gorilla war.
That doesnt end well for any standing army they should have known that from their escapade in Afghanistan and also the US involvement in Afghanistan and Vietnam.

A co worker said to me its as if Putin is playing chess and Zelinsky is playing go.
Again, you are very right. Traditionally, cruisers provide air support defenses within battle groups but their respective weaponry has a number of applications and the cruisers themselves can perform a number and variety of roles.

With regards to knowing what weaponry the Ukrainians can field, this is a good reason why I have my doubts as to how effective Ukraine receiving MiG- 29 fighters would have been. If Russia maintains records and I'm sure they do, they would know the block and lot number of the MiG-29's Poland has in their possession. With that knowledge, Russia would know how those MiG's were built including the algorithms on which their radar's and fire control suites were based and operating. Russia could jam those radars and those aircraft would be essentially flying and fighting blind. The Ukrainians have been doing fine with drones and anti aircraft and anti tank missiles. What they really need are cruise missiles.

I noticed you mentioned a " professional " army. A professional fighting force doesn't rape, murder and pillage. I know you and I'm sure everyone else feels the same way. However, the actions taken by Russian forces may well have been sanctioned by Russia itself. This may explain why there is such dissent within the rank and file members of the Russian military forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post

Imagine an onion

The outer layer and for this lets say 30nm is covered by your best SAMs these being something like Aster 30 or SM2 for example.

The next layer is your Aster 15 or ESSM these have a shorter range lets just say 15nm

The next layer is your CIWS these are the goal keeper Phalanx and sea ram

Obvious reasons I have just pulled numbers from my backside but I am sure you get the picture

The U.S refers to that as phased array systems with interlocking components. Your information as usual has been informative and concise. Great breakdowns.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote