View Single Post
Old 11-23-21, 11:31 PM   #51
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 490
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efshapo View Post
Well, "wrong" is not subjective here since we're talking about a game of the simulation genre. The game is either "right" (historically accurate), or it is not.

The magnification I'm talking about in my table is only related to the field of view (the one restricted by the vignette effect, not the in-game FOV), it is not related to the player screen size. There is no way for the devs to control that (unless they add a slider in the setting screen for a kind of "magnifying glass" effect). About that 10x magnification in GWX, I don't see how it could have been computed given what I just said, but I agree that the bigger the ship on screen the better the gameplay: I did the math and found out that for the magnification to be optically accurate, I had to stand as close as 38 cm from my 27" display! And Wolfpack devs actually did an amazing job at that by having chosen to ditch the upper and lower parts of the image circle so it can appear bigger.

Considering your expressed concerns, I haven't found how those modifications would break any current gameplay mechanics. Did you have something specific in mind?

My comments were general nature, not at your examples. I'm of the opinion that "historically accurate" does not necessarily need, demand, nor require verbatim "historically accurate" figures, specs, etc. to be used, for "historically accurate" and "right" results to occur.

Your mileage may differ.