Old 06-11-23, 02:01 AM   #23
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 0

Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
You've moved verts between the 2 obj files.
Doing that moves the final tex coords.
S3D only imports the tex coords/faces for the UV2 obj.
That information is stored in the TMAP section of a dat.
I've replaced all verts infomation with 0's in some files and imported the UV2 files!
Hello Jeff,

First, thank you for paying attention to my "problem" and explaining things. I have only basic knowledge about 3D modeling, unlike you. So, I'm always seeking for improving my skills.

Quote:
Why do you want to edge split anyways?
For the final in-game aspect. The smooth aspect doesn't render the hard edges (despite the AO map) and I don't like it. After all, this is an object that is relatively big and in a very visible place, so I think it's important to have a perfect final aspect.

Quote:
Trying to gain fame off of others work? Seems the main objective anymore.
As Jesus said to Pontius Pilate who accused him: "it's you who is saying it"...

I know that the "intellectual property" is a very sensible subject among the modding community. I myself created some stuff for SH3, and I'm not happy when people use my work in their mods without asking me or even crediting me...

To answer directly: your assumption is wrong. Firstly, I do this only for personal convenience. Secondly, I will always credit the original modder if I use a part of his work. That's why, for example, I've written everywhere (in S3D and on the folder) that the object comes from Wise type VII U-Boats mod. Did I ever pretend that I created it myself?!

Now, it's up to you to choose your belief.

Finally, I'm still waiting for a solution. A detailed explanation on how to correct this, or how to edge-split 2 same objects with different UV-map in a correct way would be very appreciated!

You said that I've "moved verts between the 2 obj files." I don't understand this, because the uv-map looks like the same after the edge-split process. Note that I did that in Wings3D, and with manual method: duplicating the model, then deleting the faces of a same orientation on the first model, then deleting the other faces on the second model... and so on until all different orientations are separated.

Note that I prefer to understand things rather than getting fixed files. As the saying goes: "If you give a fish to a hungry man, you will feed him one day. Teach him to fish and you will feed him forever."

Last edited by Mister_M; 06-11-23 at 02:49 AM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote