View Single Post
Old 01-10-21, 04:58 PM   #26
Alpheratz
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default to vdr1981

Hello Vecko!

I don't mind if you include my tables in the TWoS documentation. My tables are applicable for TWoS v.2.2.22 as well. At least for the methods that I talked about in my videos earlier. You got it right about the Sun semidiameter, everything else works the same way.

Now in the next step, working on celestial navigation by two stars, I discovered a problem that makes it equally difficult to apply my tables in v.2.0.9 (RUS), in which I work, and v.2.2.22. The celestial sphere should always complete a revolution around the Earth in 23 hours 56 minutes and 4.091 seconds. In SH5, this is not always the case. When playing in 32 and higher time compression mode, the celestial sphere moves without error, and is consistent with my tables and with the chronometer readings. When playing with time compression 1 - 16, the celestial sphere slows down or speeds up at different periods of time. It depends on the [TIME COMPRESSION] settings in Silent Hunter 5 / data / Cfg / main.cfg. I prefer not to use time compression 2-16, and decided to create a table for playing in time compression 1 (TC1, real time) mode, which would correct the chronometer readings, making them consistent with the celestial sphere. In v.2.0.9 (RUS) in TC 1 mode from 0:00:00 "Time" to 4:35:00 "Time" the celestial sphere moves without error. From 4:35:00 to 9:05:00 "Time", the celestial sphere accelerates by about 1.8 seconds every minute. This is equivalent to the chronometer slowing down 1.8 seconds every minute. From 9:05:00 to 24:00:00 "Time", the celestial sphere slows down by about 3.6 seconds every minute (which is equivalent to accelerating the chronometer by the same amount). For information: "Time" = GMT - Time zone port of departure. Due to a bug, if you leave Memel, Kiel, Wilhelmshaven, Narvik, Trondheim, La Spezia, Tripoli, then "Time" is one hour behind GMT. The celestial sphere is 1 hour behind GMT. If port of departure: Brest, Lorient, St. Nazaire, La Pallice, Bordeaux, Bergen, then the celestial sphere moves according to GMT. Until the problem with the acceleration and deceleration of the celestial sphere is solved, my idea is to keep a logbook during the game, taking into account the operating time in TC 1. Before the astronomical observation, enter the data from the logbook into a special excel table that will calculate the correction chronometer. This correction of the chronometer can be entered into another excel table, which will take this correction into account.

I suggest these excel-tables that I compiled for TWoS v.2.0.9 (RUS) for study and use:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oad...ew?usp=sharing - SH5 Celestial Navigation calculator (excel) - NOW HAVE LOST RELEVANCE

The configuration of the [TIME COMPRESSION] settings in Silent Hunter 5 / data / Cfg / main.cfg differs significantly in v.2.0.9 (RUS) and v.2.2.22 TWoS.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZjG...ew?usp=sharing - main.cfg of TWoS v.2.0.9 (RUS)

I checked v.2.2.22 TWoS: the acceleration and deceleration of the celestial sphere does not coincide both in time periods and in the amount of lag and lead, relative to v.2.0.9 (RUS), so a separate table for v.2.2.22 will be needed. I could investigate v.2.2.22 TWoS to compile such a table if it is technically difficult / impossible to use the [TIME COMPRESSION] v.2.0.9 (RUS) settings for v.2.2.22, or if such a change of settings does not give a result.

As for those documents that are included in the "nav doc from TWoS", I think it is advisable to save them, there is training information on which I did not emphasize in my videos and it can be useful for studying. It may be worth putting it in a separate folder, indicating that these documents have been adapted for SH3 / SH4, but are suitable for mastering celestial navigation in SH5. Only Document "SH3_RNM_TheModInDetail" seems to me not relevant for SH5.

With best wishes,
Alpheratz

Last edited by Alpheratz; 01-30-21 at 04:36 AM.