View Single Post
Old 08-08-17, 12:26 AM   #53
The Bandit
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar_4450th View Post
EDIT: Scratch that, just found documentation stating that the Mk37 was being tested with the otto fuel engine in 1968... so at the start of the in-game 1968 campaign it wouldn't have even come close to deployment even with rising tensions pushing development.
Well there are a few things here. You are correct the 37C was under testing until 1973, but from what I've read it wasn't really favored by the Navy because full-scale procurement probably would have jeopardized the Mk 48 program which was vastly more capable (and probably quite a bit more expensive).

The other thing is, the 37C was designed as a kit, to be shipped out as parts and installed on existing Mk 37 torpedoes either pier-side or probably even aboard tenders (vs sending whole weapons back to the manufacturer). On top of this a lot of the parts it used (namely the engine of the Mk 46) was stuff that was already in inventory. Not to say that they could have had it done in a weekend but I think that they could have had it out before 73 had they felt they needed to.

There was also a guidance update that came along with the otto engine and while this was probably a good improvement over the Mk 37, I think if that had been omitted it probably would have reduced the development time as well.