View Single Post
Old 07-15-13, 10:53 PM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Apparently there's a difference between .223 and 5.56. Firing the former in a weapon chambered for the latter is safe but the other way around may cause bad things to happen.

As The Arms Guide (<-- Link) puts it:

Quote:
The most important difference between .223 and 5.56 chambers is the length of the throat (or leade) for each chamber. More specifically, the leade is located at the mouth of the barrel before the rifling occurs. Comparing the NATO and SAAMI regulations, the leade for 5.56 chambers is nearly twice as long as that of a .223 chamber (.162in to .085in, respectively). If a 5.56 round contacts the barrel rifling too early, it can cause pressure spikes (leading to malfunction, and potentially damage) in the chamber. This explains why it is safe to fire .223 through a 5.56 chamber, but not recommended to fire 5.56 through a .223 chamber.
So, my question is should I have the throat of my 223 AR lengthened at great expense, aggravation and possible risk involved with finding a Gun Smith experienced and equipped to do this properly and hoping he doesn't screw it up.

OR

Wait for prices to come down some more and buy a whole new upper for my AR that is already chambered for 5.56? (presently about $500-$1K).

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote