View Single Post
Old 08-24-12, 12:21 AM   #14
StarTrekMike
Navy Dude

Downloads: 137
Uploads: 0

It really is a shame, I had hopes that Ubisoft would at least take one more solid pass at the Silent Hunter franchise, possibly release something like SH4 but with the SH5 level of graphic fidelity (say what you will about "graphics meaning nothing", SH5 is a great looking game and that adds to the immersion).

I hope that once SHO fails (and it will, lets not lie to ourselves), Ubisoft does the right thing and releases the franchise to another developer that is more willing to put the time and effort into it and give us a great new addition to the franchise.

Honestly, I don't even know why Ubisoft still bothers to hold the copyright, it seems that many companies would rather just sit on a franchise and keep it dead than let a more willing company take over and produce something for the market they clearly have no interest in.

SH4 and SH5 are always going to be my go-to WWII subsims, I don't see SHO fitting into that at all, the lack of proper free-roaming (navigation means nothing now), the lack of a proper deck view (that we have seen, though they say it is there in a interview), the reliance on online play and what will probably be just another micro-transaction money grab will keep me away like the plague.

The microtransaction based F2P model works well for some games but not all, some users don't want to get nickel and dimed for a mere browser game.