View Single Post
Old 08-07-22, 07:02 PM   #103
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Hi Maciej and Jeff, during the last few days I have been following the discussion on this thread but private life duties prevented me from replying before. Sorry for that. My notes below:

- Unfortunately I can't provide any detail on what was done in the past for fixing stock land units. To be totally honest my commitment in that field was marginal, to say the least. TDW dealt with that. My only contribution was carrying out a few tests. At that time I thought TDW had tried every possible tweak for fixing the buggy stock AI, but the 'recent' discovery by Maciej on how to fix AI sub's deck gun, has proved me wrong and gives me new hopes.

- IIRC, my (unsuccessful) tests were carried out on a tweaked version of stock land units with sensors added. Indeed, any new tweak should be tested on a set of similarly modified units.

- The "floating coastal defenses" weren't my idea either. Vecko proposed them. I only helped him setting up the files and providing 3D models. The bunker currently featured in TWoS is my elaboration of a SHIII or SHIV model. It is more correct for German coastal defenses than for British ones though. In the meanwhile I have created the model of a typical British gun emplacement that I will be glad to share with the community if we find a proper way to implement coastal defenses in game.

- Talking bout the aforementioned floating coastal defenses, yes they are basically land units with the ship AI commander controller in place of the regular AICostalDefense controller. We gave them a huge mass and very high drag coefficients and we lowered their center of mass so to minimize pitch and roll, but this is not perfect. Other inconveniences are that they need to be placed unrealistically close to coasts, and that water depth under them can't be too shallow, otherwise they get 'stuck' just like regular sea units and they fail to shoot their guns.

- Talking about 'copyright' issues, I totally agree with Jeff. At this point, the release of single IRAI files tweaked conveniently, shouldn't be a taboo as long as all the due credit is given to their original author. If that wasn't possible, many mods based on New UIs, Fx Updates, etc, wouldn't ever been released

Last edited by gap; 08-07-22 at 07:17 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote